Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

After market clutch to eliminate EBS? sp 800

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market clutch to eliminate EBS? sp 800

I get a little worried about sliding off of the ramps too, especially with my Mudzilla's. I use AWD and low, luckily I've always maintained good traction. Is the ramp issue only reason you want to eliminate EBS? I have a Heel Clicker, it will NOT eliminate EBS!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Range Rover
Location: Central Valley Ca 1.5 hr to the Sierra Mts & 2 hrs to Pismo Beach

Originally posted by: Instigater
I get a little worried about sliding off of the ramps too, especially with my Mudzilla's. I use AWD and low, luckily I've always maintained good traction. Is the ramp issue only reason you want to eliminate EBS? I have a Heel Clicker, it will NOT eliminate EBS!
Yes the ramp issue is one reason i want to eliminate the EBS also the wheel lock going down hills, but the biggest reason is the herky jerky when trail rinding. Every time I let up off the gas I get whip lash. With the kind of trails we have here in the mountains of CA I am on and off the gas a lot. A shot straight then a switch back, short straight, then, well you get the idea.
I talked to the dealer and they told me that Polarises answer to the wheel lock on the down hill is to keep on the gas to keep the front wheels engaged at the same time ride the break thus over rinding the EBS.
My dealer told me they get many complaints about the EBS but I am the first person that has sought out a solution to the problem.
Well I think I am close to a solution thanks to all of the input I received here.
Thanks to every one for their input.
I will let you all know what I end up doing

Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey tregtom. I am not intimately familiar with the EBS primary, but why can't you just remove the over running clutch on the primary and replace it with an equivalent sized spacer?

Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 AM
Range Rover
Location: Central Valley Ca 1.5 hr to the Sierra Mts & 2 hrs to Pismo Beach

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Hey tregtom. I am not intimately familiar with the EBS primary, but why can't you just remove the over running clutch on the primary and replace it with an equivalent sized spacer?
Well this is yet another idea that needs to be explored. I am open to all ideas.
So far it looks like I will have to replace my primary EBS with a non-EBS primary from an 06 SP 500.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Set the belt deflection like the non ebs machines so the belt will just slide on the one-way on decel same as it does with the non ebs machines. The front engine mount is slotted so sliding the front to the left will decrease belt tension, you may also have to shorten the distance between the clutches to gain the 1" plus belt deflection needed. Recheck the clutch alignment if you get into this

Old 10-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

You should not loosen the belt to try to get rid of EBS. If the belt does slip on the over runnng clutch, it will tear up the belt. If I was going to get rid of the EBS, I would go down to the local HW store and buy a pipe with the same inside diameter as the inside diameter of the EBS over running clutch. Then I would cut a piece of the pipe to the same length as the over running clutch and replace the over running clutch with the pipe I cut.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

The one way on the 800 is smooth not ribbed, it won't damage the belt...

Old 10-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

If that was the case, there would be no reason to have the over running clutch. The part number for the over running clutch for the 800 and the 500 are the same.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

the one way clutch is different on the 800 vs the other clutches. The 8 is smooth and is bout a 1/4 in. smaller diameter. Almost as small as the non ebs clutch. The ebs on the 700 and lower is the old style. I'm sure they will put the new style clutch on all eventually. I'm not sure about 07 models. They may be the same now.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ncriderforks
the one way clutch is different on the 800 vs the other clutches. The 8 is smooth and is bout a 1/4 in. smaller diameter. Almost as small as the non ebs clutch. The ebs on the 700 and lower is the old style. I'm sure they will put the new style clutch on all eventually. I'm not sure about 07 models. They may be the same now.
They started putting the 800 clutches on the 700 and 500 in 06.

Quick Reply: After market clutch to eliminate EBS? sp 800