Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Radial tires vs bias ply tires.Front PXTs let me down.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radial tires vs bias ply tires.Front PXTs let me down.

I would agree that in most conditions the PXTs do a great job. I also believe that on fast rocky sections they just aren't quite stiff enough in the sidewalls to prevent the sidewall from rolling over too much allowing it to become punctured or damaged. I've noticed some dings in the edge of the aluminum rims after rides where I didn't experience a flat either. Increasing the tire pressures hasn't seem to help either. Got an e-mail into ITP to see what replacement tire they reccomend. We use quite a few Carlisle tires at the equipment shop I work at part time and they seem to do well. I'm just not impressed with how the PXTs are doing in this area. Will keep you posted on what they have to say.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fireslayer,

I ride rocks all the time at a pace that destroys my frame and suspension in less than 2 years. My PXT's had 3 flats in the first 26 miles. I put a set of of Bighorns on and went 1200 miles till my next flat. I also have a set of Bighorns with 3\8 of an inch tread remaining @ 4800 miles. I run 5.5 psi . Great rock tire, Not that great in mud.

As far as ITP's, If you are talking about the Mudlites they last @ 1200 miles in the rocks and have a harsher ride. However the sidewall punctures hold up way better than the PXT's

Old 09-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i guess i'll to look at my pxt tires, icant beleave they are a 6 ply tire. my itp radials are a 6 ply and theres a world of differnce between the 2 tires.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 06 Polaris 800 and have been on three weekends with it so far. First ride I tore the side wall on the front tire, and last weekend I tore the sidewall on the rear tire. Neither time was I really pushing it. I am very dissapointed in polaris's tires. Has anyone had any luck getting Polaris to replace their tires?
Joe

Old 09-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

I doubt that. It sounds like you need a more agressive six ply tire. And the bad part about it is that polaris but the best tires on there 4 wheelers. No other brand has a good tire like the pxts. I wouldn't put them down to bad.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i didnt even try to have them replace them. its not a warranty item. they will say its a hazard of driving off rd and its the luck of the draw,

Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, how many of you guy's have steel wheels with the pxt's and how many have the nice looking aluminum wheels with the beed protector on them. The radial side wall does give alot more than a bias tire. That is the reason they are more likely to have a sidewall puncture or cut. Pump the pxt's at a min. of what the factory reccomends. Maybe even go up a couple pounds. If the tires get low the sidewall will give more, everybody knows this. I may be wrong but I bet 85% or more of you guys have the aluminum wheels. The beed lock or protector has a kinda sharp edge on it and if the tire rolls over on it just right it can put a cut in the sidewall. Laugh all you want bought what I'm saying and I know rocks and other objects can cut them too but if I had the aluminum wheels I'd be breaking the tires down and taking some type of file or something and making sure that the rim has a nice, thick, smooth edge on it. The thinner the edge of the rim, the more it acts like a knife. Some cuts have been half way up the sidewall. Yes, the right conditions will allow the tire to flex enough to get pushed down against the rim.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 AM
Pro Rider

I
I agree with the above.

There may be better terrain specific tires but that's just the way radials are with the sidewalls and pinch.

I was riding on Drummond island and hit a rock hard and gouged the sheet out of my very HD Vision 160 wheels but the tires held up, no flats and no plugs in mine and that island is one big rock!

They are 6 ply too…
http://www.tirewiz.com/atv_tires/du_wetlands.html

Jim

Old 09-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stendori
i guess i'll to look at my pxt tires, icant beleave they are a 6 ply tire. my itp radials are a 6 ply and theres a world of differnce between the 2 tires.
Stendori, I just got a reply back from an ITP/Carlisle tech/rep. He states that the PXTs are only rated at 3 ply and after telling him about what had happened and my riding conditions his reccomendtions for this type of riding was the ITP Mudlite XTR which he said would hold up the best in extreme trail conditions as it is a true 6ply tire. I went on Itp's website and did some checking on specs. and weights etc. The bias Mudlite XL 26x9x12 weighs 23.2lbs. The Mudlite XTR radial 26x9x12 weighs 26.8lbs. I also looked on the Carlisle site at the ACT tire specs which appear to be as close to the PXTs as I could find.The ACT 26x8x12 which is the same size as the stock front PXT but not a radial weighs 17.3lbs and the ACT XLR 26x9x12 radial weighs 22.6lbs. I don't have one of the PXTs off for a comparison weight right now but I should have later in the day and will report on same if time allows. I suspect that it will be somewhat lighter than the the ITP tire. Also,does anyone know how ITP and Carlisle are connected? I also have a poll going on the poll forum between the Bighorn radial vs the ITP Mudlite XTR . Stop by and vote if you can.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I just pulled the stock PXTs off, cleaned them up and weighed them. 17.0lbs. They were both identical weight on a set of digital scales that are accurate to less than 1 oz. I've had my suspicions all along that these tires are light weight tires produced by Carlisle just for Polaris. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these tires are junk, it's just that they are not the right tires for the way I ride and the terrain I ride in. I have no doubt now that they are only 3 ply rated since I've got them off and inspected the sidewalls closely. I am still not settled on what tires I will replace them with. I'm also looking at the AMS Swampfox tires along with the ITP Mudlites and Mudlite XTRs. Is anyone out there running the AMS Swampfox that can comment on them? (May start a new thread for this) Just thought some would be interested in hearing about those differences. i was kind of shocked that there was that much difference.Oh yeah, the PXTs only have around 250 miles on them and are showing very little tread wear, so the low weight is by no means due to wear.

Quick Reply: Radial tires vs bias ply tires.Front PXTs let me down.