Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

An idiot needs your help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An idiot needs your help please!

OK, I admit it! I'm an idiot in dire need of a little help. I have had my new Polaris 450 (2006) for only a couple of months. I think I'm going to change the oil, but haven't bought the shop manual yet (I always do that for every vehicle I've ever owned, and there have been more than a few). OK, The Idiot see the most logical oil plug location at the bottom, front of the engine and proceeds to us the 14 mm wrench to take it out. This is directly under the fron of the engine, where you access it through a 4 or so inch slit in the protective shields. If you have a 450 or 500, you know what I'm talking about. Question: What the Smell is that for?? The fluid was slightly green, only a little slick, but not like motor oil, and smelled a little. It's not the Anitfreeze/coolant. it is a very light weight oil. Any answers appreciated quickly!! Thanks guys.
Tex (the idiot)

Old 09-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you do realize that it had a seprate tank for the oil right. that is polaris 0-40 premium oil that it comes factory with. its a syntheic( didint spell it right) your first oil change(w/filter) should be around 20to25 hrs.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Yup, That dawned on the Idiot about 5 seconds after seeing the fluid spilling out of said hole in front of engine.
I have about 25 hours on it and want to take it up to the deer lease on Sunday... so that's why i'm here begging.... PLEASE help me out. I'm not driving that baby till I know what I did and can replace that fluid.
How emberrassing this is! Thanks for the response though and your right. :-)

tex

Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you didnt drain the front differintal fluid?

Old 09-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just make sure you put the right oil back in it. it takes about 2 qts. w/ the filter change. at least my wifes 450 did.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

No, not the front differential I think, as that is beteen the front drive shafts/wheels. This plug is at the front, lower end of the motor and the front drive shaft comes close by it and then to the rear (transmission). This plug is accessed from underneath and center, thru a 4-5 inch by 1 inch wide lateral opening just large enough for a wrench to work it. It is between (and slightly below) where the motor oil hoses come in on the left and the coolant hoses come into the motor (at least that is what I'm assuming they are for).

I can't find anything about it in the puny owners manual. Any other ideas?

Old 09-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

have tried a search on the web with maybe a skematic or something on the 450's

Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

Idiot here. Seems the primary (possibly only) fluids (lubricants) used in this machine are the Front gearcase (using Demand Drive Hub fluid), Rear gearcase, (atv angle drive fluid), the Motor oil (polairs premium4 synthetic, and finally the Transmission Oil (Prem. AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant) so that should narrow it down to motor oil or transmission fluid. I've already said I just don't think it is motor oil, so I'll check to see if the fluid matches the transmission oil, the logical answer, for an idiot. Any other ideas, please let me know asap. Thanks again!
Still, I don't know for sure and don't like to guess that much, after I've already screwed up.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

You drain the engine oil from TWO places.

The oil tank and the right side on the engine. About 1 and 3/4 qts will drain out of the oil tank. About 1/4 quart will come out of the engine drain.

You have already drained the engine. Now drain the tank. Change the filter.

Pour two quarts oil in the tank.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris Synthetic 0w-40 has a green tint to it but still feels like motor oil on the fingers.

Quick Reply: An idiot needs your help please!