Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 800 Mods ...Anyone have em..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 Mods ...Anyone have em..

I just purchased an 05 sp800 and have put about 300 miles of basic trail riding on it and was wondering what are the best mod setup's are .....i have had Good Dealings with Hot seat perfomance on my 02 Scrambler i bought the Speed kit and was very happy with it ...Now hot seat makes a speed kit for the 800 the K&N filter the Clutch kit and true duals ..with the ceramic coating for $950 ... a bit pricey but if it makes a nice difference it might be worth it ?? ..i see that a lot of people are using the Aeen pipe ..is this good also ?? how about the power Commander another $350 .. is this worth it ?? don't mind spending a little money for some noticable improvements without ripping into the engine ...Thanks ..

Old 09-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

We recently put the HSP pipes on an 05 800 w/a K&N. Our altitude is 4500 to start--tested it against two 800's all stock we had previous ran against at @ 5000 ft. Both beat it and by margins greater than the pre-piped runs. The engineering on the pipes is very good, they are definitely louder but not horrible. I gave Hot seat a review of the engineering changes that we found that neede to be made, ie placement of brackets etc. Unfortunately, that 800 was flipped about an hour after we ran and required susbstantial repairs which were just completed last week. During that repair we found the fuel vent line was completely pinched---whether that happened in the accident or before we do not know and we have not run them since, but will soon. Hot seat will tell you themselves that the gain is minimal if any on a stocker. I do not know if jeremy has any information about their pipe results with clutching, cams and/or the power commander. The power commander is not worth it on a stocker for sure according to every post I have seen--now with combined mods--maybe. aaen claims a dyno HP increase and torque increase with their pipe. The dyno results are on their website but a post on here recently indicated that the pipe did not last too long before it came apart inside..whether that was an anomaly or not I do not know. Right now it seems to me that the aftermarket does not quite have a good grip on decent performance enhancements for the 800 vs. cost but every day is a new one

Old 09-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

I would go with a good clutch kit and a good slip on pipe. I can't really say about a programmer but they say polaris' are rich and don't need one. I have a hotseat cam and right now my motor is screwed up and I think the cam could be one of the causes. Before though it ran great with it. It would do 55mph in 200ft. So do what you want.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is some excellent info to have xler8ion. a great post.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Jordo, was it your Aaen pipe that you were having probs with? I could look back but it's late in the day --too late I looked back--Jordo it was your pipe that was breaking up. Did you get ahold of Aaen about a new one?? And thanks stendori for the prop

Old 09-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

i have the hsp cam in my 06 800 sp and it was worth every penny.the throttle response was awesome i had to install heavery weights cause it would hit the rev limiter in high gear ,also got the hi flo in take it made a difference .i put the cam in myself.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

i agree that the programmer is not worth it for the 800's, they run rich now. i have a supertrapp can and a K&N filter and i can tell you at the 200y mark i was about 4 lengths ahead of my buddies stocker, he now has the same mods.lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

800 stealth where did you get your exaust

Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

WW,

What "hi flo" intake do you have? and

800 Stealth,

Did you run your buddy before you did the mods and if so what diff was there?

Old 09-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

local dealer put the exhaust on while i was signing the paperwork, and no, i don't even know what my bike sounds like stock. lol, mods were done before i picked up the bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800 Mods ...Anyone have em..