Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need advice from cold weather riders

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the hands go, my dad's got these big glove things that wrap around the grip and the brake lever. I believe they are tied on with velcro straps. Then they run up half way to your elbow. With heated handgrips, you basically stick your bare hand inside the giant mitten and your hands are toasty warm, without the distraction and inconvenience of having to drive with gloves on. They really do work awesome. I'm not sure, but I believe he ordered them from Cabella's (sp?) Its the only way to go in my opinion!

Old 12-06-2000, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Just don't wear too small of a boot with too big of a sock. If its too tight, it'll cut the circulation off and then you'll be really cold.

Old 12-10-2000, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

ATV mitts are a good cheap way to keep warm, as mentioned by uncle fester. Dennis Kirk caries some made by Moose called "mud paws" for about $25, and they carrie a couple other brands. Neoprem covers w/ a velcro strap.

Old 12-10-2000, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Kevin, We do have a blast...and he does get stuck a lot...but so do I! We have gone through some serious stuff though. Too bad I didn't bring my videocamera on our last ride!

Next spring I will, and we will try and post some movies!

Old 12-10-2000, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric battery operated gloves and socks work fine to.I also wear my hunting overalls for top to bottom warmth,
Bill

Old 12-10-2000, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

I have a hard time imagening someone from Texas asking about cold weather. ???
Get a grip !

Old 12-10-2000, 07:35 PM
Range Rover

as offrder said, the mud paws by moose work well. i got a set of them about a month ago at a local atv shop. i wanted to test them today with just a thin, not-so-warm pair of gloves on during a short ride just to see how they would be. wonderful! not a bit cold. your hands stay inside of them and there is quite a bit of space around your hands where the heat from your hands heats the air, and the bags themselves block the wind nicely.

if that still doesn't work, then add a set of heated grips, you won't even need gloves. as for the feet, the best way i found is to spend the money, and get a pair of good insulated boots, usually over $100. and make sure they are at minimum a half size bigger then you normally take so there is room for air circulation.

bigdevil/ '99 scrambler w/rcr stage 1

Old 12-10-2000, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Houndog, up here in Canada it's getting pretty cold now (10 to 20 degrees F). I put heated handgrips, heated throttle and handguards on my three new Polaris machines and my hands are always warm wearing just regular winter gloves.

2000 Sp500
2000 Sp335
2000 Trail Boss

Old 12-10-2000, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Fleet Farm has the ATV mits for $14.99, I wondered if they would restict movement too much on trail rides??

It was about 30 below windchill in Wisconsin today, tried to ride but we spent all day finding a trailer tire when we blew one and the spare also had a hole !!!!

Old 12-10-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Trailman, you put them handguards on the Sportsman yourself, or dealer did? I am stupidly baffled about putting them on, after just picking them up in Winnipeg yesterday. I saw a 2001 HO with them on, but didn't pay enough attention. I guess I thought they would just bolt on, but apparently they don't. If you have any secrets to installation, I sure would love to hear them. You southern Ontario folk don't get the serious cold of Northwestern Ontario. It was -20 celsius out riding today. And I consider that actually comfortable, with a little schnapps and brandy...hehehe...kiddin' ehh?

Quick Reply: Need advice from cold weather riders