Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 breather tube has a slit, BY DESIGN?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 breather tube has a slit, BY DESIGN?

the slit is there to let case pressure gases release in the event that the vent hose frzes shut closer to the air box, where it usually vents to. if the slit is no there, and the hose freezes shut at the airbox fitting, the pressure inside the crankcase and valve cove will get to the point that it will either blow out the dipstick, a crank seal, or possible blow off the valve cover. the updated hoses that some of u got was to replace some hoses that didnt have the slot, the new one must have it, or damage can ocurr..

Old 09-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Pro Rider

To me this sounds like a CCV. If it is then it is improtant to the morot and it's ability to properly run. If your worried about the slit replace the hose and remove it from the air box and run the hose below the frame rail. Make sure the hose goes up over the Valve cover before it goes down. this will help reduce the driping that is causes as your oil vaporizes. All new 4 stroke motors have a closed CCV system and you burn the gasses as there a by product of both cylinder blow buy and oil vapors. If you don't want to see an oil drip under your bike replace the hose add a t and run the line from the t the same way. Just put a check valve in it to keep if from sucking water in and if the vent freezes it will push out the bypass you added and that will resolve your water issues.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

If I rode in freezing temps and was worried about it I would install a T fitting at the head with a ballon attached to it taped to the handlebars. Slicing the hose was a pizz poor remedy IMO, if they had a decent size hole in the airbox the moisture might actually be drawn out of the hose so it wouldn't freeze in the first place. My hose was installed with the slit on the bottom so the oil residue would drip onto the right injector and make a friggin mess, that ain't happenin no more......

Old 09-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

I found that same slit on a 06 Scrambler, I thought it was a bad hose, when you check the manual its supposed to be there. Look up the oil change procedure and they talk about the slit.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

as warm as the 800 runs, aint nothing gonna freeze under the plastic......and the hose on the 800 isnt supposed to be split....

Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't believe it if POLARIS didn't tell ME! Not only that, but they described the slit perfectly. At the valve cover, correct lentgh, on the bottom, and it is a perfect cut running straight along the hose. I mentioned it to another dealer outside of town and he was already aware of it.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

That slit IS supposed to be there.

On the earlier models, like mine, there used to be an inline filter there that they (Polaris) ommited it in an TSB, for reasons described above (for winter use).

Jim

Polaris, TSB, PCV Breather Hose, 600/700, #S-03-05

March 05 2003
Modified
Jan 15 2004

Polaris along with many other brands have a crankcase ventilation hose, freeze up problem.
The tube, which originates from the valve cover and enters the air box, can get blocked with ice that is formed by condensation. When this happens, there is no way of relieving crankcase pressure and the weakest part of your engine will fail (valve cover, dipstick, oil pan, etc.)

The correct procedure (recommended by Polaris) is to cut a small slit in this tube, as close as possible to the valve cover (lots of heat and will never freeze in this area) This serves as an escape route, for any pressure should the hose freeze up. Otherwise if you blow the valve cover and do not notice it guess what happens? (I know of several cases in my area that led to motor failure due to oil starvation). This only happens in extreme cold -20c and below and will happen to quads stored outdoors that do not get to thaw out, they simply build more and more ice until it's finally blocked.

Another thing to check is that the hose is routed so it does not have any low spots. ( a U shape somewhere along it's path) If it does, the condensation/water will not be allowed to flow freely into the air box where it is supposed to go and when it dips below freezing, you get an ice cube in the system.

Jan 15 2004

Edit: Polaris has now released a TSB (Technical service bulletin) regarding this matter. The onus was put in the dealers hands to contact the customer in areas only where cold temps are seen on a regular basis. In general. Canada and the Northern States. I would not rely on your dealer contacting you as we all know how lazy some can be! If you own a 02, 03 or early 04, the TSB applies to you. If you have a 04 and are not sure, just look at the PCV hose which goes from the front of the airbox (left side) to the engine valve cover. If the hose is a plain black rubber hose and has a small in-line filter, you need to have it done. If the hose is a black rubber one but has a foil type insulation sleeve around it and no filter, then the mod is already done from the factory. You can see this hose by simply removing the seat.

The TSB is #S-03-05 and the part # is 2202744

thanks to the Frontier....