Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do you think that by using KTM engines Polaris will gain some credibility with their sport lineup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think that by using KTM engines Polaris will gain some credibility with their sport lineup?

I know the Outlaw 525 is not being released until next spring, and it also comes with a hydraulic clutch and 2-piston calipers up front, but do you believe that this will be a big hit or just seen as another polaris with a hot motor? This lightweight motor alleviates the weight of the Outlaw, but I have to wonder if the industry will even notice it next year with Polaris's gloomy reputation.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Do you think that by using KTM engines Polaris will gain some credibility with their sport lineup?

"credibility" Why should they KTM built the motor, the rest of the machine is still 2nd rate compared to the other brands

Old 09-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The history of Polaris atvs has shown that they put out a decent product, but it is rarely on par with the Japanese brands initially. I give props to Polaris though, they make yearly updates to the sport models, surely the 525 will benefit from the first year growing pains of the Outlaw. Credibility will only come with time and proven products. It wouldn't hurt if they could find a pro GNCC'er that can actually podium with the thing too.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

shame i couldent get here before the yamaha serial killers did. but to say the least i belive the Outlaw 525 is going to be a nockout, along with the Predator 450 when thats released. the Outlaw Chassis has been refined this year to fix its problems of last year, and dropping a new powerfull powerplant that is very creditable and tested is a perfect match.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally posted by: spyder6
shame i couldent get here before the yamaha serial killers did. but to say the least i belive the Outlaw 525 is going to be a nockout, along with the Predator 450 when thats released. the Outlaw Chassis has been refined this year to fix its problems of last year, and dropping a new powerfull powerplant that is very creditable and tested is a perfect match.
I'm no "Yamaha Serial Killer." You even stated yourself the Outlaw chassis will be refined this year. I actually like the Outlaw concept, but it did prove to have at least one serious design flaw. Maybe that is why Smiley didn't want to campaign it throughout this years' GNCC? Since he did pretty well on the Pred the year before, he should have been ripping it up with the new Outlaw if it was that much better than a solid rear axle. Sorry I hurt your feelings there bud, but I just try and call them as I see them.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yamaha Serial Killer is just a term i use, ask DriverDoyle. and no, you didnt hurt my feelings.

as far as matt smiley, i wouldent say that he prefered the solid axle better, there were races all around the country last year were the outlaws came in first and won several minutes ahead of the other quads. smileys reasoning, i cant explain. i personally like the outlaws design, i think its a little too tall though.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spyder6
Dont get your hopes up for a predator 450..I have sources telling me that Polaris wanted to tweak the 525 motor and KTM said no..and then decided to make there own 450...soooooooo look for a KTM 450 next year..no idea what going on w/ the Pred.

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

I just wonder how long it will take before Polaris builds something around a KTM 950 V-twin engine to one-up Can-Am's 800 V-Twin.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Well, since I have stuck up for the Outlaw in numerous posts, you have definately mislabled me. Besides, if I had to pick a favorite make, it would be Suzuki. Yamaha just happens to have been making the best quad for me at the time of purchase. True, the Outlaw has won some races, but not even a podium in the premier series amongst the big boys yet. I don't know Smiley's reasoning either, but the quad was supposed to be dominant at that level. Obviously there are some growing pains with it right now, much like the Pred had the first few years.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

i'd still like to know why a pred has to weigh so much more than the other bikes. It has a power plant thats competitive now. I think the KTM will help quite a bit with weight alone and the power is gonna help too.

Quick Reply: Do you think that by using KTM engines Polaris will gain some credibility with their sport lineup?