Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 steering

Hi guys, I've been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post. I was wondering if any of you feel like the polaris atv's have a greater amount of bump steer than other brands?
I have been riding for about a year now, and have noticed what I think is a large amount of handle bar jerking when you hit roots or rocks (not boulders or anything excessively large).
This weekend I was riding with two friends, I was bringing up the rear. My 2 friends went up a slightly steep hill with no problem (one has a 97 suzuki lt4wd 250, the other a Can-Am 800 max). I started up the hill which made a slight turn at the top, and hit a small stump about 4 inches high with the left front tire. The handle bar jerked extremely hard hitting me in the stomach which caused my other hand to jab the throttle. Next thing I know I'm on the ground the 700 is on its side and my right arm is pined under the front tire. Luckily my friends did not go to far before they realized I was not with them came back and lifted the atv off of my arm. I was unharmed other than a few scratches and a bruised ego. This really scared the S@#! out of me and I rode only about ten more minutes before calling it a day. Am I the only one that thinks the bump steer is excessive? My friends hit the same root and could not believe what happend to me. I was not going too fast and was paying attention to my driving. Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

Old 09-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 steering

Bunp steer is to do with more a-arm style front ends. It is as the front end compress's the front tire moves away from the quad. there is little to no bump steer in struts. Have you ever when parking caught a curb while parking the streering wheel will turn that way it is the same with a quad. Your friend might have not hit as hard as you did maybe you got more of it an this caused it.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 700 steering

Does anybody else have a problem with handle bar jerking or am I the only one. If I am, any idea what could be causing the problem?

Old 09-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 700 steering

pretty much no matter what your driving if you hit a stump like that one it will jerk the handle bars. ive done it no paying attention to a rock or a rut that was deep. alot depends on how fast your going when you hit it, not to mention tires, air pressure, if you hit on the side of the stump instead on hitting it square. chances are you didnt hit it square causing you to catch the side of it thus ranking the handle bars. just my 2 cents.