Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Twin cylinder Sportsman 500 Ruse/hoax

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever happened to the twin cylinder rumors?

Did Polaris start these rumors themselves to take the spotlight away from the Kawasaki V-Twin?

Will they resurface around the launch time of the Kawasaki V-Twin?

Who is the public relations manager at Polaris who was able to buy all that good press about the edge snowmobile chassis? That guy must have some entertainment budget.

Will Polaris ever engineer the engagement clunk out of it's EBS system?

How many people have been burned by spraying oil from disconnected 325 Magnum oil line hoses?

Will Polaris ever publish a list of acceptable alternative lubricants in their owner's manuals?

Did I miss anything?

I almost forgot: Are the 2001 brake pads actually lasting 5 times longer than the previous design?

Old 12-05-2000, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

My dealer said that it is real,some time in the first quater of next year.The 700 eng is as light as the 500 HO eng.

Old 12-05-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Do we know that the twin cylinder motor is going to be put in a sportsman frame or will they make it into a sports type frame?

The only area Polaris is not strong with product is the sport quad arena.

Thor, you might be right about Polaris trying to steal some of the Kawasaki lime light. They did it to Honda, not long after the Rubicon was released here came the HO!

Interesting

Old 12-05-2000, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

the first 700 will be in a sportsman then in a sport machine. its a in-line twin that i believe is as light as the current 500, but im not positive. u dont think that polaris would allow kawie to have a atv that has a better engine than theres. the sp700 is polaris answer to the kawie 650.

not sure exactly when it will be out, other than it will be released before the kawie650 is at the dealerships, which i think is around febuary.

later
jon

Old 12-06-2000, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Why would you want to hot rod it while in 4WD?If im not mistaking the 4WD is cutoff when you go over 20mph(correct me if Im wrong)so to make steering easier on trails.I mean think about it, you dont need 4WD when ridin trails, and you dont go through mud going 20mph, so actually I think thats one of the best things ever thought of in a 4WD system, IMHO.

Old 12-06-2000, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

The 4WD is most certainly NOT cutoff at any speed and why would you not want to "Hot Rod" in 4x4? Life is short, I figure "Go Big or Go Home". Many of the snow trails I have been going up lately are pretty hairy and I can guarantee you my wheels are spinning faster than 20 mph. It's nice to have the power to be able to spin big meaty tires that fast I know what 3TV is saying, if the front tires would stay engaged when racing down some of the fast snow covered roads it would greatly aid in steering. This is only a slight problem for me and only when going downhill, when I am going level or uphill I am usually spinning all four tires furiously. The torque steer can be a pain though but I don't see an easy way around that. I have never heard that the rear wheels need to spin 20% faster than the fronts to engage 4x4. My rears only need to spin about a few inches (at the tread) before my fronts kick in and the fronts stay engaged until they are not under load any longer.
All in all I think the four wheel drive system Polaris has come up with is pretty good, if I couldn't ride my Scrambler in 2WD I wouldn't own it.
BTW If anybody is looking for some tires that do good in snow check out the Maxxis Sur-Traks. I run them backwards (they are designed to do this) in the snow and they are the best I've seen. In the dirt and mud they are top notch, I often find myself nearly sitting on the gas tank to keep the front end down. I wish I had worn my Titans out sooner as these tires are 10 times better.

Old 12-06-2000, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

What are the sure traks worth i was thinking of realetors for the wifes 400 scram or just studding the stock tires.

Old 12-06-2000, 06:06 AM
Pro Rider

We have sur traks on our Recon. It tells you right on the tire, one direction for mud & the other direction for snow. Great in the mud, haven't used them in the snow, yet.

Old 12-06-2000, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

>>>>When will Polaris re-think their four wheel drive system so it isn't designed to
force the rear wheels to spin 20% faster than the front wheels when four
wheel drive is engaged? (NOT an ideal system for hot rodding on snow packed
roads, if you get my drift}

Ah yes, I have been down that snowy trail. Last year I had the opportunity to ride with 3 other machines in 13 inches of fresh snow. At the time I was riding a '95 Sportsman 3 chain system vs a '99 Xplorer and a '99 Magnum. I had the Goodyear tires and the other two had the Dunlop series.

In addition the front/rear axle ratios varied between the three machines. Needless to say I spent the day constantly fighting the handlebars and fishtailing, which I believe was due to the Tracker P's on snow with the axle ratio differences.

Anyhow, I have noticed that the ratios are different between the Magnum and the Sportsman

The Sportsman has a 2:1/3.16:1 (front/rear)
The Magnum has a 3.7:/3.1 (front/rear)

Does this mean that the Sportsman is better in the snow?

Old 12-07-2000, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, that makes sense. The directions for the Realtor tires say the same thing. Mud vs Snow.

So to maximize traction in the snow on Sportsman models, theoretically the tires should be reversed in the winter.

I remember reading somewhere that traction was gained in the snow by the tire compacting the snow gripping and rolling over it. If the tire was reversed it wouldn't clean itself like it does in the mud. Good point.

Quick Reply: Polaris Twin cylinder Sportsman 500 Ruse/hoax