Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

question for rick ritter

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for rick ritter

when cutting a head on a 400 two-srtoke is it a must to retain factory squish when cutting head. should i cut .020" out of the squish area as well or maybe just .010 . please help need to know. so i can do it myself. thanks. as for your 38 mm tmx you sell. can one spec tuning components installed. Your price seems good.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

Call him on the phone. He always answers the phone himself, and you'll get the answers you want on the spot. (618)644-3211 Ritter Cycle Racing

Old 09-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

his website is out of date he sells PWK's now not the TMX carbs.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

why pwk they are so odd ball. I have no keihin parts at all wouldn't know where to start. gotta be another reson othe than 1 mm bigger.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

The factory clearance from the piston to head is a bit excessive . If you are just milling .020 off don't worry about the squish clearance - you have room to do that . The ones I cut for even premium gas do have the squish corrected by cutting - but I take way more off the head. (I keep these heads done and instock for a charge of $50 and an exchange of your head)

The 38tmx is ok but it can get it can be finicky on a 400 polaris (half throttle burn down) . The 39PWK is less finicky and flows a little better - Although it does sell for about $260. The 39pwk we sell comes with extra jets - you won't need to go parts hunting .

Rick Ritter

Old 09-29-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

well thanks for the help. so acouple of questions. that is a resonable charge but i'm a long ways away. so with a couple of more questions i could do it my self. so far i have shaved the head .020", installed wiseco .080" over piston raised the exhaust port 2mm and widened it 5mm total. knife some edges in the transfer ports and intake bridge and opened up the intake boost ports some not alot .stock pipe as well. but a 95 xpolorer. we took it out and the power seemed pretty good, well as good as it is going to get with a stock pipe. Then towards the end of the day my brother was on it and he was holding it wide open done the road and said that after a while he heard detonation. told me to ride it and i instanting thought this think is running out of gas, but i can't hear anything funny about it. so i put in to reserve and the engine started to come back. and he then tells me that .020 is to much if i didn't readjust the squish. so i'm just deciding what to do next. maybe ride it some more and see what i think. my plan is to make adaptors to hang a scrambler style sileincer on it with a psi pipe. then go to a bigger carb. what have you heard about the psi pipe, they have a good rep in the snow biz i know that. they say it makes 10 horse over stock at 6500 rpm. what do you have for pipes that fit this. is the siliencer seprate or attached like some of those awful ones that other companies make. and ya i'm going to have to get rid of the shifter box a go build something like a scrambler one then find a another way to get to low gear. anyway wanting to know if i'm on the right track in building a good trail mod ride. on your trail mod head you probably cut like .040 off the gasket surface then like .020 off the squish band. or no. more advice would be great, if i was closer i'd get you to some work. thanks Jeremy Wright
Dawson Creek B.C.
Canada