Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Heel Clicker results

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel Clicker results

Ok, new quad, same 800 primary. I set it up for the 700. Before I start, I should tell you this, the clutch has a slight groove in the sheaves way down low(at idle). This was caused by running a stock primary spring with the H/C flyweights. The directions said not to do it, but H/C tech support told me to. Not throwing Sportsman70003 under the bus, but I THINK he recommended it too.(let me make it clear that I am not upset) My ? is, EBS not very effective now. I believe that this is because I altered the spring tension, and when backshifting, the primary would return sooner, thus causing less engine braking. Am I right? My belt squeels when EBS is activated and engine RPM's come down to about 2300. Is there anything that I can do to correct this, or live with it, because that is expected since I altered the clutch! Seems that the squeeling is not good on the belt. Obviously it is slipping and prematurely wearing out the belt. What should I do? For today, I just gave a little RPM to prevent EBS from engaging. What is the fix?

Old 10-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

I can't remember if I recommended the stock spring or not. I can tell you that most of the peolpe do run the stock spring and HC weights. I run a Dalton Orange/Blue spring with mine and it works great for my riding.

The grooves in your primary are usually from not using low enough and causing the belt to heat up and slip. How many miles are on your primary.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Sporstman70003,can you tell me if my EBS is acting up, because the spring tension is diferent than stock? Can I have the delayed belt engagement and a GOOD ebs? If so, what do I need to do? Thanks!

Old 11-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Instigater,

I have been considering getting the h/c and I was also told by them that the only items for my 800 to use were the weights. Everything else stays stock. Did the grooving and EBS probs. occur before or after you installed the 800 primary on your MV? I am now concerned about this and want to know if this is an h/c problem or was caused by your specific application. I'm not enthused about spending @$180.00 just to use the weights anyway and will be less enthused if it is causing problems with the clutch.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

The grooving took place before it went on the MV. I assume it happened after the H/C. The groove is in relation to engine at idle. The directions are very contradicting, they say to use the stock spring, but excessive belt/clutch wear may occur at idle. Here is why, the weights are heavier than stock which will move the spring easier. The stock spring has no preload, so the heavier weights are causing the clutch to "partially engage" thus grooving thr clutch at idle. If I were to do it again, I would run the white spring from the start. Do not be worried about the kit, just DO NOT run the stock primary. I put 27 miles on mine while on the 800, now mine is grooved

Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply, but here is what I do not understand. When you tested the setup after to put in the hc weights the clutch did not begin to engage until 1450 rpm per your previous post. Idle on mine, and I assume yours, is @1180 a little more ( @1210) for a short time when cold so early engagement should not be the cause of the groove or your enagement has changed for some reason?

Old 11-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Instigater
Sporstman70003,can you tell me if my EBS is acting up, because the spring tension is diferent than stock? Can I have the delayed belt engagement and a GOOD ebs? If so, what do I need to do? Thanks!
Are you still running the stock secondary spring? My EBS is not as strong as it was when I had the stock setup. I myself like it better now vs. the stock setup. When my EBS kicks in going down hills my belt squeals also.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yes stock sec spring, what should I expect if I put in the silver

Old 11-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

The silver is a little bit softer so you would probably lose some low end. The silver was designed for the older secondary.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

I called heelclicker the other day & talked to some guy . I told him that I had a sportsman 400 with 28" swamp lites on itp alum. wheels . I asked about his clutch kit for this set up. He didn't act like he wanted to sell me or talke to me about a clutch set up until I go back to the stock tire size. He named some type of stock size goodyear mud tire that he says will out perform any large mud tire. I guess I won't be getting a heelclicker kit, cause I ain't taking the new 28'S off.

Quick Reply: Heel Clicker results