Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Click sound from my new X2

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click sound from my new X2

I bought a polaris 500 X2 two weeks ago and noticed a sound right away. When I accelerate from a stop I here a click that sounds like it is coming from the rear end. It seemed odd to me but the dealer said it is normal.He said it is from the the diff lock. Has anyone else heard this on there polaris? If so what do you think it is. Should I be concerned?

Budman

Old 10-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Range Rover

All Polaris machines have wierd noises. In your case it's most likely the slack in the drivetrain. Sounds like crap, but they have done it for years. It used to be sqeaks. You could hear a Polaris coming from a mile away because the brakes squealed so loud. Before that, it was the gearcase. The thing whined like a supercharger.

There is never actually a "problem" or anything "broke." I just don't think Polaris knows how to build something smooth & quiet. Again, nothing is broke, but it just ain't right! Kind of like the starters used on the 500's and others. They make so much clanking noise it sounds like it's about to fall apart. But they have done it for years, and Polaris has no interest in fixing something that isn't broke.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried. It's most likely fine, just not refined.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: awdowden
All Polaris machines have wierd noises. In your case it's most likely the slack in the drivetrain. Sounds like crap, but they have done it for years. It used to be sqeaks. You could hear a Polaris coming from a mile away because the brakes squealed so loud. Before that, it was the gearcase. The thing whined like a supercharger.

There is never actually a "problem" or anything "broke." I just don't think Polaris knows how to build something smooth & quiet. Again, nothing is broke, but it just ain't right! Kind of like the starters used on the 500's and others. They make so much clanking noise it sounds like it's about to fall apart. But they have done it for years, and Polaris has no interest in fixing something that isn't broke.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried. It's most likely fine, just not refined.

I agree 100% with the above! Unfortunately it's normal. You should have test ridden it before buying it.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Just like the others have said. My starter makes so much racket that my friends ask me if it's going bad. My rear end will make a clunk when I take off but ONLY after the first time I switch it into L/H or R, and only if I don't wait a few seconds before taking off. Same thing with my Hawkeye, if I don't wait the few seconds after putting into H or R, it will clunk every time. And the harder you hit the gas, the louder the clunk will be.

Oh well.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a drive train slop noise but it is normal as well.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the same ratchetting type sound when I start, but once it is engaged it is fine. You will notice an audible clicking sound when changing around the modes of AWD, 2WD, and Turf mode. Just ride and enjoy. I have over 200 trouble free miles on my machine now and it feels just as good as new.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]