Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 scrammy Knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400 scrammy Knocking sound

If you plan on keeping this machine get on Ebay and get you a good puller for less than $30.
You will use it more than you think.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah ur prolly right...i will do that....so lookin around i saw some info on the net that the airboxes on these will make noise when lose or touching the motor/trany? is it a knocking sound? or a rattle? well i checked the plug......looked dark and wet from fuel where i motored it with the plug wire off. not lean or it would look whitend and burned looking right? But the knocking is at idle and im affraid to ride it and blow my fresh topend up....thats why I guess i need to get that clutch off!!!!!! oh and also heard that sometimes the counterbalnce will lose the keys or teeth off of them sometimes...true? Thanx so much ftwflh

Old 11-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

look into your counter balancer area for possible noises as well.

Crank is probably worn on the pto side but the suface of the crank where the bearings sit not the bearings themselves.
but replace them anyway.

don't run a motot till it blows up fix first it will always be cheaper to fix first.

wiseco forged pistons are very strong and in this application with the intake windows they have. a cast piston is not strong enough (wsm is cast).

But in some applications a cast piston will wear better over time as they have a much higher content of slicon in the aluminum than a wiseco piston. the slicon acts as a friction modifier.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Yes the airbox has a tendebcy to ratle.If you want pull it out and see if it has the rubber button on the bottom.If it is gone the box could rattle.But dont panic until you get the clutch off and run it.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

things to check.
air box vibrating on tranny, or carb bowl vibrating.
pipe posible vibrating on recoil.
recoil vibrating, check the bolts or push in on it see if it stops.

clutch.
CB

last would be crank larger rod end bearing, however normally when these makes noise you don;t have long.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

yeah thats sounds like a good plan of atack...one piece at a time. I hope to get out to the garage today and check some stuff out...i have to go pee in a cup for a possible new employer today...Keystone Helicopters...im crossing my fingers i get this one...that means more toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a highly moded scrammy...yeah!!!! lol...but thanx everyone.....for the help and input...i'll keep ya posted on my findings again....thanx again!!!!!!!!!!