Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator 90 stator resistance check and repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 90 stator resistance check and repair

My son's 2004 Pred 90 died with no spark. My local dealer let me look in the 2006 shop manual and I found the resistance measurements. I found the wire harness on the right side of the engine. The harness came straight up thru a rubber cover and was cable tied to the frame behind an electronic module. With the cable ties removed the connectors could be separated and the wire colors identified. The resistance of the coils could then be measured by touching the connector pins.

Resistance, Black wire to:
white/red = about 480 ohms
black/red = about 825 ohms
yellow/red = 0.5 ohms
white = 0.6 ohms
ground = 0 ohms
Schematic

The black wire is ground and all of the measurements were between the other wires and the black wire. The black wire should be shorted to the engine/frame. A good measurement is within 10%, so black/red measuring 870 is OK. The 0.5 and 0.6 measurement is so close to a short I first shorted the meter leads together to see if it would read 0; it read 0.3 so I just subtracted the 0.3 from the measurements.

In my case I found an open circuit on the black/red wire. I figured an open might be due to a bad solder connection or a broken wire, so I pulled the flywheel and removed the stator. The colored wires go all the way to the stator coils so it was easy to trace the coil of interest. The solder connections to the coil were covered in a black rubber type of material. I carefully cut and pulled away the rubber to expose the solder connection. I again measured an open circuit at the solder terminal which meant the black/red wire was good but the coil was bad. The coil was wrapped in a white cloth tape. I removed two screws that held the stator coils to the aluminum frame, this allowed access to the back side of the coil. The cloth tape was tied in a knot on the back side, so I cut the knot and removed the white tape. Under the white tape was a black adhesive tape that I unwrapped. The coil wire was broken and came up with the tape. The wire was actually made of several stands twisted together. Fortunetly there was enought slack to still reach the solder terminal. Each strand was coated with a varnish that I removed with very fine grit sand paper. The wire end was wrapped around the solder terminal and soldered. The coil now measured 870 ohms. I wrapped the black tape around the coil, replaced the screws, mounted the stator, installed the flywheel, and reconnected the harness.
Coil repair
The Pred 90 started up so we headed off to the south end of the Imperial dunes. The 90 ran all weekend so the repair was a success.

In the course of the investigation I found an error with the 2004 Polaris parts manual that I downloaded from the Polaris web site. The parts manual lists the wrong part number for the stator, it actually lists the starter motor part number. If you were to look at the parts diagram and identify the stator (item#13) and then order #13, you would get the starter instead. This error is propagated out to the on-line web sites that let you order OEM parts. When I was at the dealer, their parts system also came up with the wrong part number.

Here are the ignition coil resistance measurements:
primary = 0.8 ohms
secondary = 5,000 to 7,000 ohms (includes the spark plug cap)

Old 03-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 90 stator resistance check and repair

Thanks a million!!!! Your problem was the same as mine on a sportsman 90. Checked all wires and found exactly what you described. Saved me from replacing the stator! This site is now in my favorites, just hope that someday I can help someone the way that you have helped me!!!