Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sportsman 500 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sportsman 500 overheating

I have a polaris sportsmans 500 year 2000 the problem that is happening is that the antifreeze is backing up into the reserve reservoir and overflowing. We changed the thermostate but did not work also the fan is not turning on . has anyone else had this problem.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first thing is to make sure your rad. is not plugged from the back or the front. your fan may be bad all together you should check it. then it maybe be the sensor in the engine thats bad.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

clean out the radiator real well. If you went through any mud, your radiator is probably packed. If by chance your radiator is clean, you may have air in the cooling system, or a bad head gasket. Run the quad with the radiator cap off, rev it up a bit and see if you see bubbles.

Ron

Old 11-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

If the fan is not turning on, this is the problem. Don't worry about the radiator, YET. Lets get the fan to turn on first. The sensor that controls the fan is on top of the radiator on the back side. You could bypass this switch with the key on to see if the fan comes on. If it does not, keep digging for the cause(bad fan,voltage available, bad wire between your bypass and the fan, ground, etc...) If the fan turns on, good, now look for air in the cooling system or a clogged radiator(inside and out). Check these things out andlet us know!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

A weak radiator cap could cause the antifreeze to move too early, even before the fan should kick on. Do you think it is overheating or just spitting out the fluid before it warms up?

Old 11-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem,it was the ingntion switch,corroded terminanals, I cleaned with a wire brush and packed with a die-electric grease to seal out water problem solved. This switch controls the fan by supllying power, Another place to check and easy to get to. Hope this helped. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

The temp. sensor is normaly bad when the fan does not come on. Your fix is new to me though it's good to know. My 2000 sportsman 500 has been troublefree until recently. Same symptom, overheating & no radiator fan activation. The temp. sensor is on the bottom right hand side of of the radiator on my sportsman. Very easy to replace but I felt raped to pay $94 for the damn thing. Anyhow, this is a somewhat expected problem that sportsman riders will encounter. Just short to the fan to make sure it works & if it does, most likely you have a faulty temp. sensor.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

I thought it was on top of the radiator, but that was 3 quads ago. I appolize if you were looking near the top!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Tip
Weekend Warrior

you didn't say if it's overheating, is the light coming on? the fan won't come on until its hot enough. My xplorer does the same thing, overflows out of the bottle and won't draw back into the rad. once cool, but it doesn't overheat

Old 11-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

It is fixed. A new thread was started to tell us about the fan not kicking on!

Quick Reply: polaris sportsman 500 overheating