Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Wheel stripped splines now free play (spins freely) on axle - HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel stripped splines now free play (spins freely) on axle - HELP.

the rear wheels have a bit of free play forward and reverse even when the central nut is tight.

Last week the cauder pin sheared off and the wheel now spins freely. it stripped the splines on the axle and on the inside of the wheel hub.

ANY IDEA WHY THE WHEELS ARE MADE WITH SOME FREE PLAY ?

Rather than replace the whole axle (and the wheel hub), I WOULD JUST LIKE TO WELD THE HUB RIGHT ONTO THE AXLE.

sounds extreme, but who cares. both are now euchred anyway.

I am just concerned that the free play is there for a reason and that by welding them together, i may be setting myself up for really wrecking something important like the transmission, drive mechanism, etc.

any thoughts would realy be appreciated.

kevin
2002 polaris scrambler 400x

(now in need of a used axle!).

Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer
Default Rear Wheel stripped splines now free play (spins freely) on axle - HELP.

It is my understanding that the hub is made out of cast aluminum and the axle is case hardened steel. Welding will not be possible. Drilling and split pinning with the play you have will probably break the hub under load.

Too bad about the axle. I'm surprised it is stripped as well.

Totun

Old 11-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey......Maybe the hub is the only part stripped. Should be able to pick one up rather reasonable...

Old 11-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

If you have a 2002 scrambler 400 then most likely all you need is a new hub. The axle splines should be fine. The softer hub gives all the problems.

And they are not too expensive.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, and when you get your new hubs, put a few drops of lock tight on the splines when you install them. That will keep them from becoming loose.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

There should not be any free play in the splines. If your axel is OK buy a new hub. Make sure you torque the new hubs per the torque specs in your owners manual. If you don't have the manual call you popo dealer and ask them what it should be. The free play is a result of not tourquing the castle nut on the axel. I almost trashed my hubs the same way.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly what he said. There should be no free play the hub is supposed to be tightened onto the axle and torqued down then the cotter pin is just a precaution.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

my guess is a worn wheel bearing caused heat build up, and cracked the rear hub.
pretty common for hard riders id say.
ive caked 4 rear wheel bearings and a hub in a year.
my friends 800 has caked an assortment of axles, bearings, and 2 rear hubs.
ride hard play hard pay hard.
LOL.