Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2005 Polaris Scrambler 500 Transmission Bearing (Video / Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris Scrambler 500 Transmission Bearing (Video / Picture)

Good Morning,

I need to seek your opinion on my 2005 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 Project. The atv came with transmission damage, the gentleman before me ran it with out the rear chain off and spun the transmission to fast which caused the gear that runs the front drive to stripped 3 teeth and damaged the sister gear and chain. That's all easy enough to fix (I think) but I need your opinion on the case as it has a slight crack. I have a good welder that could weld the case up however the bearing in the video seems like it still spins well but is very loose and does not fit snug in the case. Based on your experience should this bearing have this much play, the bearing itself is good - its actually the whole bearing that is moving.

Video:

Just looking for the best path forward, I haven't found a good used case and its $300 for that part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~ Brad

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Polaris Scrambler 500 Transmission Bearing (Video / Picture)-teeth.jpg   2005 Polaris Scrambler 500 Transmission Bearing (Video / Picture)-crack.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Bearing inner race looks worn out along with worn ball bearings. New bearing should take care of this. Look at the manufacturer of the bearing can tell a lot also. A lot were Chinese. The worst I encountered like this were Russian.But even good bearings such as NSK can do the same thing over time. If fluids such as engine oil etc are used other than the thinner gear case fluids such as Agl or equivalent gear case fluids,bearings can get hot and wear out quicker also.IF the case is cracked around the bearing area,then welding the crack may not help. May need a new case.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT, I have a new Polaris OEM bearing on the way. Do you feel this case is worth saving if welded properly? I didnt know if if the crack perhaps caused the bearing to have more clearance, if you look closely the outer race is moving with the bearing in the video. Would a new bearing be more secure as well or should it have this swaying motion?

Thanks for the help, still learning.
~ Brad

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

New bearing should help,but if it spun enough to enlarge the bearing support in the case,the outer race may not be as snug as it was.All you can do is to try a new bearing and see how it does.Machine shops can build this area up and mill it back down to size,but would probably cost more than a good used case.