Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CVJoint question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I'd like to thank Farmr123 for the details on changing a CV Boot and others for encouragement to try. I did it today and had no problems, at least on the side I was changing.
Now the question - While sliding the new left front boot into position, I looked at the right front for a comparason. I noticed that the outboard boot clamp on the right boot had slipped off the boot, (toward the wheel). How long it had been that way is anyones guess. As a precaution I thought I had better look in the boot and add some grease. After cleaning the greasy muck from the CV joint I saw that the ***** and raceways were no longer nice and shiney. They appear to have some pitting.
Does anyone have a clue how much life could be left for this joint?
When it does go, if I just use it till then will it take anything else with it?
How much for a replacement?
Can this be installed by a layman?

Thanks again for the help

Old 12-11-2000, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much life is left? No one knows. It surely will wear out before too long if the guts are pitted.
Is it hard to replace?? Not really. If you got the boot replaced with no troubles, a CV joint doesn't really take much more expertise. You will have to take the bearings & 4x4 mechanism out to do it right, but it is no big deal. Just be sure to put everything back exactly the way it came out. A torque wrench is needed to set the bearings (to do it right anyway), everything else is just common tools.
Ask if you need any advice, but it is pretty straightforward.
You might consider taking the CV joint to a shop that works on that sort of things, they may be able to rebuild your old one, rather than having to buy a whole new one.
Cost, I don't have a clue. Helped a few guys do theirs, but they paid the tab. Mine hasn't needed it yet.