Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris goes the wrong way!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just posting to report today's venture to the dealer. I went by to see if I could see any of the new stuff for 2001. Polaris put out a great new catalog with all the quads, accessories and implements all in one. Pretty impressive I must say. I really like the new colored rock gaurds, two tone seats and decal add ons.

Next good news is the Scrambler 400 2X4 for '01 sheds 20 LBS to end up at 481 LBS. It's not much lighter, but a step in the right direction.

Now for the bad news, the Scambler 500 4X4 GAINS a whopping 29 LBS to end up at 571 LBS and the Trailblazer GAINS 21 LBS to end up at 461 LBS. These weights are according to the 2001 spec. sheet, and yes it's dry weight.

COME ON POLARIS!!! MORE ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER!!!
(especially when it comes to weight)

Old 12-08-2000, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

It must be the new STEEL braided brake lines

Old 12-09-2000, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

3TV,

My other thought was, the Trailblazer and Scr 500 4X4 may have always weighed that much. Who knows! I just can't see how any of the "sport" chassis quads could weigh 461-571 LBS in the 1st place. I just can't see what adds so much weight to these. Anybody KNOW?

I have to assume that it's a small amount of extra weight from part to part that adds up. Maybe the engines are like a chunk of lead, as well as the tranny itself and the frame. As well as little things like the wheels, ect.

I've said before, "I'd really like to know what each component weighs." I've seen one mx racer in here claim that his Trailblazer is 265 Lbs WET! I wish he would post what he knows.

Old 12-09-2000, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Mark Twain once said, “There are two kinds of lies, there are lies and there are statistics.” Actually we’re talking about specifications here, not statistics, but in the world of ATVing they might as well be the same. Yamaha used to (maybe they still do) claim the Grizzly motor was “liquid cooled” because it’s cooled by oil. Sure, they may be able to argue the point technically but the rest of the world calls oil cooled motors “air cooled” so their description is certainly misleading to anyone who would trust them at their word. Both Honda and Yamaha state their ground clearances as measured from some fictitious point in space. I guess the manufactures figure that if there’s any sort of gray area and they can make a case, no matter how baseless, to support a convoluted “specification” they’re going to do whatever makes them look the best on paper. As far as legal, I don’t think they’re too worried about it. What the hell, OJ got away with murder. They can easily get away with a few strategically placed “typos.” Remember, “specifications can change without notice.” Buyer beware!

Old 12-09-2000, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Before I got my Xplorer, I got brochures from the various manufacturers to compare the specs. I was surprised how heavy it seemed to be according to the brochure. At the local farm show, they had Polaris, Kawasaki, and AC all right next to each other. I tried lifting up each of their 400s to see how they compared (first the back, then I made the circle again lifting the front - I think the sales reps thought I was nuts). The Xplorer, although listed as heavy or heavier than most, seemed the lightest. At the Kawi dealer I got a reprint of a test where the Prarie 300 'beat' the Polaris 325 Mag. Looking through it, I noticed that the actual weight of the Prarie was actually more than the 325 according to a scale, but according to the 'spec sheet' in the brochure, should have been almost 40 pounds lighter! I asked the Kawi guy about it & the only explanation is they use 'dry' weight and Polaris uses 'wet'.
Also, the Kawi guy told me the Prarie 400 would outperform the Xplorer 400 because a 2 cycle engine doesn't make as much power as a 4 cycle.
Needless to say, after talking to him, I crossed Kawi off my list. The company is likely fine, but who wants a local dealer who tell BS like that?

Old 12-09-2000, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just Checked and ALL polaris specks are DRY wieght,from the factory!( no oils ,fuels, fuilds at all)the new 01 scrambler 500 2x4 is 523lbs DRY,Now that is heavy!
All machines are shiped to the dealerships with out fluids and the Claimed weight is the DRY packaging wieght required by law!
(the manufactures can not ship vehicals with any combustable fluids in them)
Check out polaris indistries on the web ,they have all the new specs

Old 12-09-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

2-strokes produce less power thsn 4-strokes??? Thats a good one. Must have been a "newby" sales rep. I will take the 400 2-stroke anyday over the 500 4-stroke!

Old 12-09-2000, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

im with you explor!! ill put my 00-400-scr-4x4 against that kaw 400 title for title!!then to put it to even more shame, ill have a honda drag it home because i sure dont want to ride it!!! hehehe

Old 12-09-2000, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

They need to quit using mild steel squar tubing. Or just buy a honda!

Old 12-09-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weltmaster,
Im with you!I cant think of any terrain the Kawi 400 would have over the 400cc Xplorer?Perhaps the salesman was stoned when he said this?Or maybe it was his first day on the job?[LOL]
Bill

Quick Reply: Polaris goes the wrong way!