Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mobil 1 0W40 Full synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 0W40 Full synthetic oil

nah dude he invented........"CHAD"......................

Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: la90043
oil made for vehicles is not the same oil made for atv's as is oil made for motorcycle's is not the same oil made for vehicles. vehicle oil has other ingredients in it especially made for vehicles as atv oil and motorcycle oil has ingredients in it especially for that application. they are different oils that should not be used on your atv. also like 2 stroke oil for 2 stroke, 4 stroke oil for 4 stroke, motor oil for vehicles. they are not the same. as i said they are very differnt oil. anyone using any other oil than was is stated or one that is comparable to use for that motor i would dump it out immediately and put in oil for atv's only being for a 2 stroke atv or it being for a 4 stroke atv.
Gosh,I forgot to get my special lawnmower oil for my DEERE and my special tiller oil for my Troybilt.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: encorebilly
Originally posted by: la90043
oil made for vehicles is not the same oil made for atv's as is oil made for motorcycle's is not the same oil made for vehicles. vehicle oil has other ingredients in it especially made for vehicles as atv oil and motorcycle oil has ingredients in it especially for that application. they are different oils that should not be used on your atv. also like 2 stroke oil for 2 stroke, 4 stroke oil for 4 stroke, motor oil for vehicles. they are not the same. as i said they are very differnt oil. anyone using any other oil than was is stated or one that is comparable to use for that motor i would dump it out immediately and put in oil for atv's only being for a 2 stroke atv or it being for a 4 stroke atv.
Gosh,I forgot to get my special lawnmower oil for my DEERE and my special tiller oil for my Troybilt.
Actually he is closer than you think about machine specific oil. I am new to the Polaris drive system so I am unsure about the original ?.

I do however know for a fact that in my CRF450R it requires 2 different types of oil. If I run normal car oil in the tranny side then I will glaze the clutch and create clutch slip. I also run 100% synthetic moly oil in my crank side to help with wear and heat.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

ATV OIL..............Snake OIL.
The only time and maybe not even then is when your machine has a wet clutch will it make a difference.

Regular car oil will work just the same as any "ATV" oil will work if you have an automatic. If you have a wet clutch then use Motorcycle/ATV oil or full synthetic. I have used the mobile 1 Gold Cap oil (Use to be Red) in my WR426 since the second oil change. NO Clutch Slippage and I have not rebuilt it yet. That bike gets ridden way harder then any of my 4wheelers get and I redline (11,500 rpm) it often. The Mobile 1 oil is awesome.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is still under warranty, have Mobil 1 synthetic in it. Even asked dealer if that was OK, got standard answer-"It's OK, but we recommend Polaris." Ran it in other machines, friend also does in SP 700. Would think it would be fine, possibly better.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

I use the mobil one synthetic in my SP. No problems.

I don't buy into the thought that ATV oil is different then regular oil. Granted the oil may have different additives but from my research of oil it's not that important. The interesting part is that Mobil Syn may not be a true synthetic. Most labeled synthetic oils are not. Many oils still contain dino juice but are called synthetic. If I remember correctly it's the purity of the oil and Mobil is one of the purest. It's been a while since I reviewed this information.

The wet clutch thing is something that is stated but I never found anyone to prove that an "energy conserving" labeled oil caused wet clutch problems. I've heard the story but haven't seen proof. From the stuff I've read I think the general opinion is it's not a concern and depends on the type of material the discs are made from. Older disks were made of a different material and probably more suseptible to slippage.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: bombaman
The wet clutch thing is something that is stated but I never found anyone to prove that an "energy conserving" labeled oil caused wet clutch problems. I've heard the story but haven't seen proof. From the stuff I've read I think the general opinion is it's not a concern and depends on the type of material the discs are made from. Older disks were made of a different material and probably more suseptible to slippage.
I have heard a bunch of stories but have never seen proof of it either. With all the horror stories about the MX 4stroke bikes maintenance issues, I have been super precautious. I change my oil and filter after every ride or two. It only holds .65 quarts in the crank side so it is not a big deal.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

The sportsman engine has no wet clutch so any good quality oil will work. I use mobil1 and rotella t synthetic in motorcycles atvs and it work great.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

any oil is beter then no oil

Old 03-11-2018, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by heller1
"SH" rating was back in like 1993. It has been superceded numerous times. The API rating of mobile 1 sythetic is far better than the "SH" rating polaris is callint for.

Ron
Sh is an oil with higher levels of additives to protect the motor,all the other api services categories contain much less additives and especially the camshaft wears much faster,the oil breaks down easier and faster,no wonder oils are cheaper today,while zddp additives are more expensive than ever

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 0W40 Full synthetic oil