Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Xpedition 425

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006 | 12:50 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2000 Xpedition 425

Hello All,

Fairly new to ATV's and not much of a mechanic. I have a question that I'm hoping some of you folks can answer. I've got a 2000 425 Xpedition and although it needs some small odds and ends taken care of I like it just fine. I use it hunting and will be using it to push some snow this winter. My question is this, the engine is running kind of rough and seems to spit and sputter. There are times when it sounds like it's spitting back through the carb. I checked the plug and it was black and sooty so that was cleaned up and I tried to set the idle with the adjustment screw. Does it sound as though the carb may need to be rebuilt? I've only had the quad since the summer and have not had much of an opportunity to use it much. During the hunting season I ended up having to run it with the choke on so that it would stay running. The thing does not have many hours on it (177) but like I said I am not much of a mechanic so I was hoping to get some help here on possibly a quick or easy fix prior to spending a lot of money at a dealer. Thanks for any help that you can give.

Wolfgang.

Old 12-07-2006 | 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

It sounds like the carb could use a rebuild especially if the machine sat for long periods of time. I would try the simple things first. Put in a new plug and replace the fuel filter. It may be restricting your gas supply. Loved my 425

Totun

Old 12-08-2006 | 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

Sound's like bad gas , you'll need to drain old fuel from tank and remove the carb for cleaning ; you might not need to rebuild carb just a good cleaning ! And install a clear inline fuel filter between the fuel cutoff valve and carb , and add some seafoam to the new fuel ; seafoam is a fuel cleaner/stabilizer that will clean the fuel system and also the combustion chamber ! If this doesn't fix it you may need to check the valve clearance's for proper clearance ; but it sound's like bad gas so i would try that first and change the spark plug for sure ! You can get the seafoam at O'Really's, auto zone and advance auto parts store's ! I bought mine at O'Really's for $4.99 + tax , may be more or less in your location ; i hope this help's ! .............williebee

Old 12-08-2006 | 06:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys,

I already tried replacing the spark plug and noted that it was all black and sooty. Also drained the old fuel out of the tank and carb and put in fresh with fuel system cleaner and some Sta-Bil. The problem persists and what I notice most is that it wants to spit and sputter at low speeds/RPMs. Sounds like I'm going to have to take it in for a carb rebuild. I guess I can't really complain as I bought it for $2300.00 and it has only got 170hrs. on it and 1200 miles. Needs some other odds and ends done but its not too bad. I hooked a plow up to it for the winter and all that I've really done with it is use it for hunting this season. The kids want to take it out in the snow and get pulled around in the Otter Sled so I guess it will be off to the shop. Can anyone give me a ballpark guess as to what I'll have to pay for a carb rebuild?

Thanks again,

Wolfgang