Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 Sportsman 27" tires on stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Sportsman 27" tires

Well my 07 Sportsman 500 EFI Deluxe FINALLY showed up at the dealer, now I'm waiting for my tires and winch to show up. I ordered 27" Mudlite XTRs to go on the stock aluminum wheels and my dealer tells me i might need wheel spacers as well. As this is my first Sportsman I'll have lots of questions over the next couple of weeks lol, but i would like to know if anyone has already got 27s on the stock wheels with or without spacers. And my second question is regarding stiffer springs. I have heard of others using different springs from other Polaris models for better ground clearance. What springs work from what bikes and how much ground clearance is gained?? And how is the ride quality after? Any replies would be great as I would like to NOT use spacers and get some more clearance to go more places than those pesky Cats lol
Todd

Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default 07 Sportsman 27" tires on stock wheels

I do know, that you should save up, and get the ITP Type 7 rims to go along with your XTR's. It will save weight, look EXTREMELY BETTER. And then you may not need spacers. And as far as using different springs, i think for the 500, you should use the 700 or 800's springs. They should work. By the way, what color 500 did you get? And let us know how that ADC works [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you are going to need wheel spacers / the your xtr's. thats why i went w/ the itp rims as well because they have a deeper offset. most spring changes aree because the stockers are sagging over time. there is alot about it if you do a search on here and you can read alot of reviews about the differnt people and what they've used.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I got the blue Sportsman and it looks to be the same blue as my scrambler was, but i hope it doesn't scratch as easy.
I was hoping that the tires would fit without spacers but if not it's not the end of the world as long as it's not too wide for my trailer, but i'm sure it'll be fine. As far as the ADC i will definitly let you guys know.
Has anyone else got a 07 and how do you like it so far? And I stopped at the dealer today and the winch and handgaurds showed but not the tires and rack extenders, so I'll just have to wait some more but it looks pretty sweet just sitting there lol

Old 12-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well according to the dealer, my bike should be ready to roll on Wednesday, They've only had the bike a week now, whats another couple of days lol. (Sure wish they had've pre-ordered everything like I had asked) So by Thursday i should have some idea of how the ADC works. I can't wait. Now my next question is on clutching. My Scrammy had the AAEN aggresive kit and I loved it, but the SP might actually get used for work lol, nah just play i think. So the Heelclicker is $290 and the EPI Big foot is $235 CDN but I think I like the Heelclicker better. (It's adjustable right? Different screw on weights?) Any words of wisdom would be great, and I'll be sure to post first impressions on Thursday.
Todd

Old 12-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just put ITP 14" C-7 Rims and ITP Mudlite XTR's on my 2006 Sportsman 450 with no problems or wheel spacers. These rims and tires are awesome. I am going to install an EPI clutch belt and spring kit to help performance for the bigger tires.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Stopped at the dealer today and talked to the tech who worked on my bike who is one of my riding buddys, and the wheels got one 3/8 washer on each stud on the fronts and there is 1/4" clearance from the outer tie rod end. Saved some coin there and pickin ut up tommorow. Can't wait

Old 12-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

1\4 inch clearance? How does that compare to the stock clearance? I know it's tight, tore a ball joint boot last ride. Only about $8. Seems there should be more room between tire and boot.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

A quarter inch clearance between the inside wall of your tire and the outer tie rod end boot is fine until your tire picks up some mud and it becomes an abrasive between the boot and the tire. Honestly, you should be looking at aftermarket wheels with the 1" wider offset.

Heel Clicker is your best bet for a clutch kit. Yes, it is adjustable or "tunable" unlike most others (Dalton's is tunable too but HC's flyweights are better).

Old 12-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

SCRAMMYTODD-get it yet? Chance to ride? ADC? "Added washers as spacers" On my steel wheels, only 2-3 threads exposed past lug nut, aluminum must have longer studs? Think someone mentioned this is the case.

floodrunner-what tire/wheel are you running? Sounds like even if you are not running wider tires, the extra offset, to gain more clearance, is a good idea. Never know what is in all those mud holes.

Quick Reply: 07 Sportsman 27" tires on stock wheels