Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

why do people bad mouth polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do people bad mouth polaris?

I think it was all pretty much summed up already... Unreliable older models, high maintenance, "overweight" and belt drive. Newer models are far better than the older.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

i went on 56 mile trip into the mtns of new hampshire yesterday driving an ozark i came out unscathed the poo poos came back hot, and overheating like it was foggy out. their parts break everywhere on those 800 lb machines.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Range Rover

if i get a used polaris, what years should i watch out for , for problems?

honestly, should i get a polaris? whatever quad i get, its basiaclly for mdudding.....its going to be snorkeling, lifted, tires, etc.... if i got a manual polaris, would i still have any problems?

Old 12-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father has had tons of Polaris machines and all have been reliable and decent enough.

I personally do not like them because I hate the automatics, and I HATE that single brake control. I also do not like that they are very wide and very heavy.

But none of that matters to people who like Polaris. My father likes them so much he actually moved the brake lever of his KFX700 to be on the same side as the single Polaris lever.

Of course the Predator and Outlaw do not fit into any of those problem areas, I've ridden both and they are nothing like the other Polaris machines.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

Most people that hate on polaris is because all they think about is "MINE IS BETTER THEN YOURS" because it is what I have .....And what I have is the best... Most people will not say a thing about how the quad is doing if it is running good. But if it is broke down then we hear about it.

I have a 1999 Scrambler 500 4x4 and also a 1997 TB 250 no problems. Both are rode alot but also taken car of...

Old 12-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

recon250submarine, the group I ride with now has all Polaris machines except for my buddies son who uses an older Honda Recon. To date, the only problem we experienced was with a friend's lifted Sportsman 500 (2002?) ripping his cvj boots on the inside. I think it has something to do with the lift kit. I've found them to be very reliable and extremely good when in mud, slow rock crawling, and all around trail riding. The AWD is incredible. I would recommend the Sportsman to anyone looking into a quad. I don't baby the quad at all. My X2 has about 300 miles on it now (read, mostly hard) and other than a little bit of trail rash on the plastics hasn't failed me at all. I weigh 350 (can you say New Year's resolution) and often have a passenger with me. Been through foot deep mud, headlight deep mud/water combinations, over 2 foot high rocks, up and down 45 degree slopes, etc. Lots of fun. Waiting for snow to come, so I can play in that too!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned a few Polaris machines, and I loved all of them. My in-laws still ride an 87 Trail Boss 250 and it runs great. My Trail Boss runs great also. Not to mention the prices are better than the Yamahas, Suzukis, Hondas, and Kawasakis.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

With my 2wd scrambler i've had nothing but fun and out mudded 3wd hoda's, it now has a blown engine not the bikes fault though. People always said it takes alot of maintenance, not the 2wd, just grease the grease zerks, put oil and gas in it and keep your fluids good, and for the love of GOD wash it after every ride.! Now with my new 00' Xplorer 250 4x4, there is alot more! the front hubs, with the 3 bearings, seals, armature plates and clutchs, the front diff. There is alot more maintenance to these. But like any thing, I'm learning what needs to be done and doing it, thats all you have to do, put alittle love in and it'll give love back. This bike was NOT maintained at all.

Go test drive a 500, 700 or even 800. Once you sit on the new ones you will want one! good luck!

Top reason to buy Polaris..............................IT'S AMERICAN BABY!

Old 12-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: recon250submarine
if i get a used polaris, what years should i watch out for , for problems?

honestly, should i get a polaris? whatever quad i get, its basiaclly for mdudding.....its going to be snorkeling, lifted, tires, etc.... if i got a manual polaris, would i still have any problems?
I would go with any 2000-up model

Old 12-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you ask me, the people who bad mouth Polaris actually want one, but for some reason or another, ended up with something else. Just kidding. Seriously, there is the auto transmission thing (although more and more of Polaris models, such as the Predator and Outlaw are manual), they are big, and possibly customer service. Personally, my family figures a quad is something small enough to work on ourselves, so I dont have much experience here. If I had one of the new EFI that is basically a small car, it might be different, but mine is carboreuted (sp?). However, I think one of the biggest things is the misconception that most people have that if a vehicle is built in Japan, it must be reliable, and anything American can't be good (despite personal experience to the contrary).

Quick Reply: why do people bad mouth polaris?