Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CHILL OUT.....................

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both you and 3TV are right - in a way. It takes a noticeable amount of slip to get it to lock the front wheels in. In order to keep them locked, the rear must slip just a little, to keep torque applied to the bendix to keep it locked.
However, it takes only about 10% wheel slip to keep it locked (once it is locked) which is negligable.
Some of the newer farm tractors have a true speed radar gun on them. A computer compares wheel speed to true speed, and computes wheel slip on the go. According to the tractor factory rep, the most effecient use of a tractor (rear wheel drive) is 10 to 15% slip. Honestly, I didn't think anyone would notice it, but it IS there.
Here is how to prove it to yourself.

Put some weight on the front end (50 pounds will do it on my Xplorer). Lean as far forward as you can. In 4wd low range, pull on the hand brake fairly hard. What you want to do is force the rear wheels to slip and lock in the front. If you look carefully at your tracks, the rear wheels will be spinning ever so slightly, even after the front wheels engage. A gentle uphil may help the rear wheels slip easier.
Try it, and tell me if I am wrong.

On the other hand, the slippage is so slight, I don't see how it would effect hillclimbing ability.

Old 12-13-2000, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3TV,
With the Polaris AWD system activated,the machine operates as a 2wd until the rear wheels lose traction.If the rear wheels lose traction the front wheel rotational speed will DECREASE,causing the front drive axle speed to exceed front wheel speed.Restricting the rotation of the drive clutch roller cage will cause the rollers to climb the ramps of the cam,and become squeezed between the ramps and the ring in the hub.

When the hub clutch assembly,wheel hub,and drive axles are engaged[AWD is now activated],the front wheels will drive and stay engaged until rear wheel traction is regained and no load[ie,staying off the throttle] is placed upon the front clutch rollers.When traction is regained and no load is placed,the front wheels will over drive the hub clutch,pushing the clutch rollers toward the lower part of the cam,disengaging the clutch.

Try the experiment I told you about earlier,you'll see that going up a hill in AWD does not mean that the rear tires have to be spining at all times.The fact is,they only need to spin to ACTIVATE the AWD,once activated and torque[staying on the throttle] is a constant on the front clutch rollers,the AWD will stay until rear wheel slipage is non existant and no load is any longer placed on the clutch rollers,
Bill

Old 12-13-2000, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

DIOGENES I AM AQUAINTED WITH SLICKROCK AND IN RESPONSE TO YOUR REMARKS. SLICKROCK HAS MORE "TOYS" THAN WE HAVE TIME TO READ ABOUT. HE IS A VERY,VERY WEALTHY SELF MADE, ATV'ER. IT WOULD NOT BE PERMISSIBLE TO LIST HIS COMPANY BUT IT'S MY BET EACH OF YOU HAVE HELPED HIM PURCHASE HIS TOYS ?

Old 12-13-2000, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Wow, that is going to be one heck of a stable, slickrock. If you're living down is Southern Utah I think you need a stable full of toys like that to keep yourself having some fun.
Don't listen to Diogenes, he's an angry man that can't laugh at the joys that life has to offer him. I mean really, he doesn't even think it's funny when one of your buddies rolls his bike and does some minor damage to it. Good God, as long as they don't get hurt I have found it to be some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen.
I don't know about you but I love my friends and we all can have a good laugh at each other's expense: I'm sure it's happened to you a time or two.
Live long and laugh at life,
Zion

Old 12-13-2000, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Au contraire, zionalbino--I think ATV accidents involving property damage and personal injury are hilarious. Doesn't everyone?

Diogenes

P.S. I see you learned from the Gore-Clinton team, zionalbino. Whether I think ATV accidents are funny or not has no bearing on my previous comments; you use your perception of my sense of humor to attack me personally, merely because you disagree with me. Personally attack those with whom you disagree hoping to discredit them. That's the principle, right?

D.

Old 12-13-2000, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

Man is this confusing!! Now I'm definitly glad I got a 2 wheel drive, at least I understand how that works. You push the throttle which pulls on a thingie attached to the watchamacallit, and it turns the back tires. Simple, right?

Old 12-13-2000, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Zion, It looks like most posters have three or more bikes. I have kinda gathered them as I go. Not trying to bragg. I posted some stuff on belts over in the Honda forum and you can't believe the stuff the came at me. Hey we are having fun. We all have are preference. You and my buddy in Cedar seem like you got it together. I wish others could relax and enjoy this forum a little more. I really think (some) Polaris owners are way to sensitive. It must come from problems in the past.

Old 12-14-2000, 02:42 AM
Trailblazer

YOU PEOPLE THAT DON'T LIKE POLARISES FORCED 4 WHEEL DRIVE ARE IN LUCK A NEW FRONT DIFFERENTIAL WILL SOON BE OUT (SAME ONE THAT COMES IN THE RANGER FRONT END).SO START FINDING FAULT WITH THAT SO YOU'LL BE PREPARED WHEN IT ARRIVES.

Old 12-14-2000, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

3TV
Sorry about the volume just thought that kind of info needed more attention. The differential will be standard on all 4 wheel drive models,no more electric hubs that require spinning the rear tires so the front wheels are forced to engage.

I hear a lot interesting news on new models ,but I've been asked not to say to much or divulge my sources, The CEO of polaris has made a point of canning anybody who's name can be put with a rumor.

Old 12-14-2000, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

800twin,
when will this new front end be out?? will it be on the new sp700??? so will this new front end be just like a locker?? and how will it engage the front wheels?? thanks

i dont expect u to tell your sources but i would like to know this info.

later
jon

Quick Reply: CHILL OUT.....................