Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

exriders Review on the Outlaw 525 with Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exriders Review on the Outlaw 525 with Video

I don't see any advantage of making there own engine. The R&D and manufatoring cost would be very high. Polaris isn't as big as Honda or Yamaha. If you find a great motor and can use it to be competative, I see no reason to try and make your own. Plus the KTM's have a very good rep for quality and dependability, plus there light and fast, was a very good move on Polaris part. I think if they tried there own, it would be put down by everyone before it would hit the market.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propolarisPolaris needs to build there own sport quad engine I think!! Would be expensive but I think it would be good in the long run.
Or atleast design a better one and have it built to their specs by Fuji or whoever. Does Polaris manufacture any of their own motors or are they all subcontracted out?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

They build there twins only. The Fugi's are good rec motors, but are to heavy for racing. 30lbs is a lot of weight between the Fugi and the KTM.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Actualy Suzuki owns Fugi industrial engines. I think the KTM was a great idea. Now I just wish KTM would get theres out a little sooner, I cant wait!

and ss97 I see you are right on the cutting edge with your Arctic Cat I meen Suzuki DAMN I meen Kawasuki 400. Dude get a clue and stop being so biased about somthing you dont know about.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GE4x4
I don't see any advantage of making there own engine. The R&D and manufatoring cost would be very high. Polaris isn't as big as Honda or Yamaha. If you find a great motor and can use it to be competative, I see no reason to try and make your own. Plus the KTM's have a very good rep for quality and dependability, plus there light and fast, was a very good move on Polaris part. I think if they tried there own, it would be put down by everyone before it would hit the market.
i have to agree with you on that... its also cheaper to buy an engine then to manafacture your own, thus why GM and Ford uses engines built by other companies then directly FORD or GM

Old 01-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 4FITTY
Actualy Suzuki owns Fugi industrial engines. I think the KTM was a great idea. Now I just wish KTM would get theres out a little sooner, I cant wait!

and ss97 I see you are right on the cutting edge with your Arctic Cat I meen Suzuki DAMN I meen Kawasuki 400. Dude get a clue and stop being so biased about somthing you dont know about.
actually im pretty sure toyota owns FUJI and they bought this from GM in the later 2005 season, and FUJI owns subaru, and subaru owns Iszu who was the designer of the mighty duramax which now is in your silverado trucks, and speaking of silverado, the GM company owns 20% of suzuki, and sence GM was struggling with their money Nissan owns stock in GM now to this day

Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ss97, your making a lot of assumptions for someone who wasn't there. You act like you know everything about the Outlaw with all your seat time, yet you didn't even know it has a sway bar in the rear. I thought you said you had a lot of seat time on one. Sounds like your a IRS hater and will put it down any chance you get. In fact that is exactly what you have done. Also, it sounds like you never take off fast either. I don't care what quad you have, if one rear tire has more traction then another, it will spin you sideways just like it did in the video. As far as there slow speed jumping, mayby that is all they could do. They were in the desert and not a race track. One jump was off a 4' drop off. And he landed on one rear wheel but still landed soft. If that was a sra, it would of slamed him hard. The other was slow as the camera guy was right in front of him. Did you ever think there might not of been any kind of landing area to do it any faster? Were you there? As far as the up hill and him going off to the side, if you heard his interview he said he showed how it can strattle ruts in the washouts. So like I've told you before, you can not, and I repete, YOU CAN NOT ride the Outlaw like a solid axle. It's a different style of riding, but once you have it down, it rips. You sound like the guys who said IRS wouldn't make it in a utility back in the late 90's, yet now everyone has them. Well don't be suprised to see others follow along as they will get better year after year. Again, if you want to race and see what one can really do, the AGP series of XC racing is right in your neck of the woods. I would gladly meet you and do a little comparrison between my Outlaw and your 400.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I'm not bashing, I'm trying to point out that the machine needs improvement to be considered on par with the SRA machines. It was stated that the Outlaw would dominate the XC circuit last year, and not people are saying with the new engine that it will dominate Baja and etc.....

My seat time on the Outlaw was done with an open mind, I do not hate IRS. But the fact is as you yourself stated you cannot ride them the same. My entire argument is based on that. All I've said is that coming off years of a SRA riding the difference at times is too great to overcome what slight advantage they have. The rear ends are just way too heavy for aggressive sport riding IMO, but that probably won't bother some people.

You seem to think that SRA machine slam you around or something. But if you know how to ride one the landings are just as soft and smooth.

The facts are what they are, by configuration alone IRS is going to be different and there are advantages and disadvantages. What I'm pointing out are my personal experiences with the Outlaw. I had enough seat time to get a real feeling for the machine and I've said before that overall it was a fun machine to ride. But when I pushed it too hard (as hard as I can push my z400) it started to bite back and things got very sketchy at times. It simply did no react to terrain in a predictable manner when gas was applied and the rear end swapped around in a bad way. It did not like to launch off jump and while landings were smooth, gas-on landings resulted in odd lurches off to the side.

Of course I take off fast as you suggest I don't. But you are missing my point here. If you come into a slow corner on a SRA machine, on exit you punched the gas sending the machine sidways as you enter a straight. On a SRA quad you can still be sideways, while you are going straight. The machine goes where it is steered NOT to whichever rear wheel is getting more traction. It's called drifting, or sliding, and you can have the machine totally sideways and still going straight. With the IRS that does not happen the same way. The rear wheels hook in and PUSH the machine no matter where the front wheels are pointing. On a UTE with IRS you don't notice this because the front end is heavy and planted. On the Outlaw the power makes the front end light and the front tires just get pushed around by the power in the rear.

I'm not trying to get all into IRS bashing or something. I'm trying to point out to people the short sided look. The guy who's Outlaw I was riding was selling it, he had come off riding a Raptor 660 and a TRX450r that he owned prior. He was selling the Outlaw because he hated it and could not get used to it. He went on to tell me for an hour that he wasted his money because he thought he was going to be able to get used to it. After 6-months he was not used to it and was selling it to buy a Raptor700. This is also a guy who races XC and has been to Baja twice so he has some knowledge in the sport.

It is all personal. If you can make an IRS machine work like a SRA, more power to you. I personally hated it and did not like the overall feeling of the ride. It felt unstable and unpredictable to me, but that is MY personal opinion.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally posted by: 4FITTY

What is that supposed to mean? I know enough about it to make the statements I made, I've ridden one enough to know a few things. If my opinion is so clueless why would you even respond to it?

So what you are saying is that the Outlaw is so advanced that my z400 riding stupidity cannot even comprehend it's greatness? The Outlaw is like some futuristic machine that maybe I'm too old to "get it", is that what you are trying to insinuate with your astute observation? Well you might be right than, maybe I just don't get it. It is too far out there for me so I will just shut up about it now............

Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

You have to a open mind and sense of adventure to see the advantage, It good that everybody has a opinion, It makes the world go around and I don't think Suzuki or Toyota owns Fuji I read somewhere that subaru owns Fuji and Polaris has stock in Fuji, My dealership told me that Polaris owns Fuji but I don't believe that.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Toyota owns 20% of Subaru, and Subaru is part of Fuji Motors. So in effect everyone is right.

Toyota owns:
-Daihatsu (~51%)
-Fuji Heavy Industries -- Subaru (Toyota owns ~20%. Toyota bought this from GM in late 2005. )
-Isuzu (5.9%, announced 7 Nov. 2006)
-Lexus
-Scion
-Toyota

Quick Reply: exriders Review on the Outlaw 525 with Video