Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hauling ATV in truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Hauling ATV in truck

cableguy657, I have used the ramp kits where you use wood to make the ramps. I would highly recommend the aluminum ramps. They are much wider than the 2x10 kits. If you end up using the kit, get a staging plank instead of a regular 2x10. A regular 2x10 is only 1 1/2" thick. The staging plank is a true 2" thick slab of wood and it has a rougher surface than a 2x10. They hold my 350lbs and 800+ lbs. of quad without a problem. Make sure you get a plank that doesn't have any cracks in it.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: cableguy657
what does every one think of the ramp parts kits with 2x10 s, are they strong enough?
about 1000lbs bike and rider.
when i get the extra money i will buy a set of aluminum ramps. and the quard dog. i just happend
to have the wood ramps that i used to use with a sport quad.

If it was me I would save the money that it would cost me to buy the ramp kits and buy the aluminum ramps because I have had the wood ramps break, and as stated before they get muddy and slick when wet. I dont trust the wooden ones because I had one break and drop my 250. Plus you will eventually have to replace the wood and build them again. Oh yeah they can fall off the back of the truck whereas the aluminum ramps have cables to attach to your bumper so that if they start to fall off then they will stop the ramps.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does every one think of the ramp parts kits with 2x10 s, are they strong enough?
when i get the extra money i will buy a set of aluminum ramps. and the quard dog. i just happend

I use those ramps day in and day out to load gravestones on my truck. Of course they are about 9 feet long and OAK, big important piece of information there.... hardwoods will last much longer. Because of the length of the planks I feel more comfortable putting the Brute in the truck and not like I'm out of room once I hit the top of the planks. Never spit the planks and my Brute is pushing 800lbs and the planks hold it well.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

if you are going to use the 2X10s use carrage bolts and bolt up a 2X6 on the underside of the ramp for added strength... saves you almost 50 dollars fromm buying the aluminum ones and is just as strong this way

Old 01-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

OK, I'm a total N00Bm so maybe i'm doing something really stupid, but it seems to work well.

I made some wooden ramps, but I don't ride the machine into the truck. I stand alongside, and throttle it gently - she puts herself into the truck. Then, I close the gate and on my way to the driver's door I set the park brake. Of course it's a basic 2WFD pickup, no monster-bigboy-lifted stuff, or my plan wouldnt' work.

If any of you more experienced guys know a reason why I shouldnt' do it that way I'm happy to listen.

So, she puts herself on the truck. Sometimes going down the road I'll reach back through the sliding window and give her a lil' reassuring pat on the nose... and once in a great while if the road gets rough she gets nervous, then she'll knock on the window and ask to come inside. I tell her "sorry, but no" then pat her on the nose again.

I prolly shouldna admitted all that, should I?

Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: XavierOnasis
OK, I'm a total N00Bm so maybe i'm doing something really stupid, but it seems to work well.
If your not strapping that thing down, you can take the "maybe" out of the above sentence.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I support the tailgate with 2 chains i got at home depot with s-hooks at each end, and hook them in the holes that fastens the gate; you can get any size chain you need at home depot ! ...................williebee

Old 01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: XavierOnasis
and once in a great while if the road gets rough she gets nervous, then she'll knock on the window and ask to come inside. q]

One of these days that knock on the window will result in a breeze and it won't be because the slider is open

Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Words of advice from the experienced, exactly what I wanted.

So, if I do 2 things:
- make a lil' curbstone/tire-stopper thing (chunk-o-wood) for the front of the bed so the bumper can't hit the window
- strap her down to the cargo hooks once she's inside

will my plan be mostly sane then?

How about the part where I walk alongside it up the wooden ramps? Any problem there? (It's NEVER muddy here) To me, it seems safer and easier than riding it up.

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Range Rover

My Silverado Z71 tailgate cables broke while loading my SP. Only one broke and the other one held (thank goodness). I had the dealer replace the cables and no problems since then. Get them checked out.

Quick Reply: Hauling ATV in truck