Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hauling ATV in truck

Old 01-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling ATV in truck

I usually haul Atv on trailer but recently purchased a set of ramps and Louisianna Gaurd Dog so on day trips I could just throw in truck and go. My question is , How well does a tailgate hold up with the weight of Sportsmans rear end sitting dead center? I have a Z71 with toolbox and can barely get atv in bed. I'm really concerned about the strength of tailgate cables?

Old 01-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Trailblazer

6K quad and relying on tailgate cables not to break....I wouldn't gamble. I'd remove the tool box for those day trips or fab a steel support to support the tailgate (weight on the tailgate) to fit into the reese hitch receptacle.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:07 AM
Trailblazer

removing tool box is not neccessary.... I throw my Brute Force 750 on mine all the time. I have radial tires and a pretty full cargo box, it's got to be pushing 800lbs. What I do is slide in 3/4 sheet of plywood onto the bed of the truck, then load the quad, really helps disperse the weight. I constantly haul the Brute hundreds of miles this way and have never had a problem

Old 01-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Trailblazer

The plywood is great idea. My Sportsmans ride on the seam of the bed/tailgate in my f150 supercrew and it makes me nervous. I can shut the tailgate of my f250 supercrew. I think I'll do the plywood in my f150 from now on!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when i workd ina feed store yrs ago we always loaded at least 1000 lbs. right on the tail gate area w/ those cables and only broke 2 in 13 yrs. this was done 3 or 4 times a day. so unless there already bad cables they hole a aprt of an atv w/no problem.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Bigpappa, the cables will hold as long as they are stainless steel. I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500 that I used for my carpentry business before I hurt my back. I was on the tailgate (about 300 lbs.) getting tools out when both cables let go. Fortunately, I did not get hurt at that time. It turns out they had a recall because of defective cables. The originals were galvanized and rusted around the center of the cable. If you have any bulges in the cable where it is wider than the rest I would not try to put anything on the tailgate until you get the replacement stainless steel ones. Since that time they have been good. I just wish they all used the old metal strap types that are much more sturdy.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

very good point about the cables. i had my old o01 gmc recall for the cables as well. just make sure there in good condtion. i aways used to put 2 straps tieing the back inso even if something happened the bike still wouldnt come out.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can also use a set of straps to secure the tailgate. Place one of the straps hooks into the tailgate and the other where the tailgate locks onto the bed. Tighten both straps and you are done.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

I have also heard (no first hand experience) of cables rusting and breaking. Plywood is an extra layer of security, but if those cables break, you are going to have a problem. Personally I would find an alternative. To big of a risk for you and others.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bigpappa
I usually haul Atv on trailer but recently purchased a set of ramps and Louisianna Gaurd Dog so on day trips I could just throw in truck and go. My question is , How well does a tailgate hold up with the weight of Sportsmans rear end sitting dead center? I have a Z71 with toolbox and can barely get atv in bed. I'm really concerned about the strength of tailgate cables?
I just got a Louisiana Guard Dog as well. The guy I got it from said his rear wheels say right on the tailgate and bed line. I would think if the dog was in place and everything was secured down if the gate failed taht the dog would hold the atv up. One failsafe I am going to do is to make a mount for a hook in the middle of my bed, so I can install a threaded eye bolt, when i am done with the bolt I can take it out. But anyways install the eyebolt and use one of those camper tie downs, the ones that have 2 hooks on each end and to tightenen them down you just screw the center metal piece. Put one in the eye bolt and the other around the front hook on the quad. Failsafe..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hauling ATV in truck