Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Polaris sportsman 500 front tires kick in with 2 wheel drive mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Polaris sportsman 500 front tires kick in with 2 wheel drive mode

I have a 2006 Sportsman 500, it has around 900 miles on it this last weekend I went riding and right off the start the front tires would kick in when the switch is 2 wheel drive mode. It has never done this before but now it seems to be locked in also when in reverse it does the same thing without holding down the override switch. Has anyone evere had a problem like this if so whats it take to fix. Thanks

Old 01-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Range Rover

This has been getting to be a big problem lately on all the forums.I have an 06 500ho with 52 hr's and less than 500 mi., and a buddy with a 04.5 500ho with less than 400 mi. doing the same thing, some have changed the diff. fluid and that has helped, but it didn't help mine. I was told that this is not Polaris's falt, they get these diffs. from another company aready assembled, but some thing needs to be done about this, but from what I have seen Polaris doesn't realy give a grap about any problems with any of there products once they have sold them, I have wrote them before about a problem with my new sled and others have wrote about this problem and they just blow you off, I am going to be writing them a big letter about this, they need to get on these forums and see how many guys are having this problem, alot of people read these forums when buying quads, and when they read about all the problems with this, people wont want to buy them, Polaris needs to start doing some thing about and listening to the customers or they wont have any more.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

04.5 sportsman 400 1400+ miles , just started doing thgis this week.. dealer says it normal ..this is bs i have rode this thing for 3years,, i know better the are feeding me a line of shi*!! my buddys 600 sportsman will smoke the back tires and pavement and does doughnuts with out un-wanted engagement... dealer says un-true we are going to prove them wrong this saturday.. then they better fix my my sporty CORRECTLEY... I HAVE HEARD SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS ... NORMAL MY ***

Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats what the dealer told me to. I told them that this is my 4th Sp and never had a problem like this before also i told them I know aound 20 people that have a Sp and they have never ran into this problem. I dont know where they come up with this that it is normal. If it is normal then why do they put the 4 wheel on and off switch on the machines.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Let me through something into the mix. Last ride out, I thought mine was intermittantly engaging one side, found out my CV was intermittantly locking up causing the bars to flinch sometimes and other times just down right locking up the wheel. Me and FITSofRAGE are pretty mechanically inclined, and, we didn't know exactly what the problem was until we tore it apart. Anyway, if it is flinching, check for this. If you KNOW it is actually engaging, forgive me and good luck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

my 06 does this as well as my borthers 06 but when i put them in R and back up a little they come right out. I dont have to back them up all the time , just some time.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

I can put mine up on blocks put it in hi and the fronts will kick in about 20 to 30 mph with it in 2 wd, with it on the ground moving it will engage at 10 mph if the rears are spinning or on hard excelleration. I talked to my dealer about it and he said, thats not right and it needs to be looked at. I have also read some post where guys have almost lost control and crashed because of this happening. Everyone needs to start calling or writing Polaris and complaining about this problem so maybe they will have a recall on it before someone has an accident and gets badly injured.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

My bike started doing it this year - left side only, though.

I have to leave in it 'all-wheel' drive, as having one wheel kick in without the other is worse than having them both kick in at once!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well here we go again. This is why I do not ride my Sportsman anymore. In 2300 miles I am on my 3rd front diff. ALL have had the same issue. Called Polaris many times about this. They KNOW about the problem but there is no fix for it. What it comes down to is a rollar cage in the front diff. They are made out of plastic and once they get stressed or cracked it is all over from there. I have had mine break 3 times. These cages used to be made of aluminum but they changed it to plastic because Polaris would have to buy whole front diffs when the aluminum ones broke. Now they use plastic so when these break it does not tear up everything else inside it. It will just break the plastic to small pieces and churn it up unlike the aluminum cage that would tear the ring and pinions up. This happens on ALOT of polaris quads and is a problem. Period!!! I like Polaris but bought a Honda and said I will never buy a Polaris until they change the front diff design. MY friends sp700 has been in the shop more than it has been out because his does the same thing. They keep replacing parts and less than 100 miles it starts to lock up. The thing is if it locks up one time under load that cage is junk. I have seen this happen to the 500,600 and 700 sp's. Have not seen it on a 800 yet and my brother inlaw just bought a 800 so we will see how it holds up. I bet you can take a post here about this problem and you will get tons of these from the years 03-06. I have a friend that ownes a Polaris shop here in PA and he sees alot of these and Polaris wont do anything but send parts to fix it.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

i personaly feel it is bull**** but i must be fool cause i still love my sporty it towers over my buddys honda 450es ...i dont by any means ride easy but i have never flipped the 4by switch with the back tires spinning , i will swear by that.... so now how did the cage crack..i am courious to hear any thoughts.....

Quick Reply: 2006 Polaris sportsman 500 front tires kick in with 2 wheel drive mode