Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plow question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow question?

We've been planning to ride the Pine Springs Dump Road, but I belive the Haliburton ATV club has signed that trail, and (a) my daughter is 9, and (b) HATV club syas no one under 12 can ride their trails because they will not give a membership, because they can't insure a rider under 12. I'm not sure of the legality of this, but I have called them about it but not heard back yet.

This is part of a more general problem, namely that clubs up here seem to ignore kids under 12, and yet there are many of them that ride. So, if they are able to control trails (even on public land?), what if I insist on riding the trail with my daughter (which I most certainly will)?

Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plow question?

I'm sure you could argue that as I ride my bike on a lot of OFSC trails and I have been stopped by wardens and as long as I know I'm either on a road allowance or a concession line, or crown land I'm OK. The STOP wardens will try to give you a trespassing ticket but if you reason with them usually they're ok. I had my pickup on a road that was also a snowmobile trail to recover a sunken sled and I came up on a RIDE check 2 winters ago. They started to give me trouble, but after I explained it was Crown land, and a road they realized they could do nothing but let me pass, So if the OPP can't do anything, I don't think the HATVC can do squat

Old 03-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Range Rover
Default Plow question?

Here's a little update on durability of the Glacier II.........

We just got nailed with a nor'easter up here (probably last one of the season, thank God). While plowing for what hopefully will be the last time this season, I bent the hell out of the mount.

Had the plow angled all the way to the left & had to get a running start to push all the snow, when the right corner dug into the side of my lawn nearly throwing me over the bars. Was probably @ about 10 MPH. Spun the machine sideways, rears in the air. I'll have to take a pic of it when it thaws out in the barn later today.

Guess I should have bought the Glacier I. I'll probably buy that one next season.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plow question?

WE had that same storm go through SE pa. I ended up with around 3" of sleet on warm ground, which froze that night.
I could not cut through the sleet to get to the bare pavement.
Currently I only have a 48" cycle country on a 250cc Yamaha 2wd. and the traction was real bad with just 2wd, even with chains. So on Saturday I went out and picked out a new Polaris. I was reading this to find out more about the Glaicer plow. I am tired of the manual lift on the cycle country, and at 48" its going to be 1.5" to small when angled, so I guess I will buy a new plow and winch. Since I been reading I think I understand I want to ask for the Glascer one and the Warn 2.5 winch (if they still have them in stock)

Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow question?

we had a storm in upstate NY this weekend. I have a 1988 Dodge Ram with 7 foot plow and 35 inch deep lug tires. I have a 300 foot driveway and there was soo much snow I almost got myself plowed IN about 8 times. I was really nervous I wasnt going to be able to get through it. I was thinking about a blade for my ATV........until now.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plow question?

With the ATV you just have to go out more often and plow (which is a good thing). I don't like to let it get deeper then 4-6" before plowing. Then you got to remember to plow the first time real wide because an ATV can't pile it up like a truck plow can (at least my Beartracker cant). I have had been in the position before where after a couple storms in a row I end up with the driveway to narrow to get my Dodge ram in and out. then I call the neighbor and he helps clean it up with his skid steer. I plow 500' of my own driveway, then 1200 feet of my neighbors driveway, then 300' for my brother next door, then another 400 for the buddy across the street, then the street in front of the house, then if I'm not frozen I start on the neighbors I don't know. I guess you can tell I like snow plowing (or like using the ATV is more like it)