Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Puller Not Working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Puller Not Working?

I went to the dealer today and they let me use one of their clutch pullers today and it doesnt seem to be doing the trick. It is the same part number as the service manual says to use. I thread it in for about 5 minutes straight, and just about when the threads arent showign anymore, it stops dead(im assuming it is bottomed out against the crankshaft). But then thats it. I cant get it to turn anymore. I use a long screwdriver through the clutch and into the floorboard to hold the clutch from spinning, but i dont want to try to hard and damage anything. could anything happen to the crankshaft from trying to tighten the puller to much? Are there any tricks i am missing? thanks.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

u have to use an impact wrench to loosen it, that is the only way to do it as far as i know, thats how we do it at our dealership adn it works fine

Old 03-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i use a impack to pull my clutch off. ive even had to hit the end of the puller w/ a hammer on a sled to jar it loose. did you run out of threads on the puller? sometimes if its too short, you can put some sort of spacer in front of the puller to take up some space. just an idear.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DITTO on the air impact but if you dont have air try a good break over bar and a BFH and smack it.I would be using a piece of wood instead of a screwdriver to hold the clutch in place

Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 AM

had a problem like this with a flywheel on a sled motor got mi brothers impact and one zip off it came

Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

yea i was about to use the impact but wasnt sure if it could damage anything. and no the threads didnt run out. i'll use the impact wrench and get that thing off im sure. thanks.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

hey garrett, no worries on using the impack. thats waht they use to do it at the dealerships. i would however never use a small screwdriver or anything esle that didint take up the whole space in the clutch when tring to hold it in position.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I cant get it off with the impact wrench and my dad doesnt want me to try anymore becuase he is afraid that it puts to much pressure on the crankshaft and thinks something could happen the crank bearings or the crank itself. Does anyone know if i can get the tranny out without taking off the clutch, and the inner plastic guard. Because the reason i am taking off the clutch is to take off the inner guard because the manual says its gotta come off in order to get the tranny out. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

have ta use the impact........

Old 03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if you took it to a dealer, how do you think they would get it off. sometimes if its been on a long time you need to thumb it a little w/ like a small 3lb hammer.

Quick Reply: Clutch Puller Not Working?