Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

BAD news from shop $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess this is my welcome wagon into ATV'ing. I bought a used 99 SP500, fairly good price, and good shape. While plowing snow, the belt broke and took out the clutch. At the same time I am having them replace the rear brake disk and pads, and change the oil. The parts list is long...clucth parts, belt, clutch cover, outer plastic cover, seals.....$750 !!!! I guess I should have bought a new machine. Live and learn.

Old 12-15-2000, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

all parts are expensive, no matter what brand, you could call and some for Polaris would be more and vice versa. Though I do find it odd that the Honda would be cheaper is it smaller? it is metal I bet which would be cheaper than the fancier composite found on the SP. That is the trouble with used you never know how it was treated. it is a crap shoot for sure.

Old 12-15-2000, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Boss

Here is my view on the parts: When it comes to toys, they stick it to you. Marine, atv, snowmobile, etc. They know the aftermarket parts supply is not like it is for automotive parts (lack of demand) and they can pretty much charge what they want. I owned an 84 Yamaha street bike a few years ago. Talk about getting screwed on parts. I had to order everything from Japan and they really stuck it to me. I didn't keep that bike long. I wonder what Polaris's average mark up is on parts they sell to the dealer. They probably mark them up 25% to the dealer who again marks them up another 25%. A $100 part ends up costing you $156. At the end of the day, if you want to play, you have to pay.

As for the belt braking, in my time owning snowmobiles and belt drive atvs, I have never had a belt break. Not saying it couldn't happen, just never did. Generally, a belt will wear down and fray out before it brakes. I wonder if someone previous to you had the clutch apart and somehow damaged the belt putting it back on. Did the dealer show you what parts were damaged in the clutch. I wonder how the belt could damage the entire clutch, but I suppose it could happen. Maybe some of the clutch gurus out there can let us know how the belt could damage the entire clutch?

I would scrutinize the dealers bill pretty closely to make sure that all the parts they said needed replaced, actually did. I would seriously consider getting a service manual and doing some of the work for yourself. This way you know you are not getting screwed and you will really save yourself some money on labor. I have found the Polaris's to be real easy to work on. All you need is a little know how. Ride on.

Old 12-15-2000, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

I know that I could do all the work myself, I restore classic Mustangs as my hobby. However, I manage an import auto dealership an work a lot, so I don't have the time to putz around in the 5 degree weather in Wisconsin fixing the SP500. The parts mark up is huge, since I am a dealer I can usually talk my way into a discount...they are discounting the parts 15% already. I know they could discount them more, but they have to pay their bills too. I know what happenned, my father in law was plowing his driveway, and my driveway in HIGH gear. This puts too much strain on the system. I really figured I would just need to change the belt, but the clutch is fried too. So the decision will be...to stick about $800 into fixing it, or trading it on a 2001? I doubt the trade-in will be worthwhile, but if I don't ask, I won't know for sure. If I could trade it in and pay $2000-2500 to boot, I think I would do it. But I have a feeling that it will cost around 3000-3500. What really stinks is that it is going to snow over the weekend and my driveway needs to be plowed.

Old 12-15-2000, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Boss70,

It sounds to me like you are about to be screwed.

Clutch (Assuming it is bad) $260
Rear Breaks $40
Belt $35
2 quarts oil $10
Filter $10

I am not sure about the belt cover cost. But, I can change the breaks, belt, clutch and oil in about 1 to 1.5 hours, giving myself 30 minutes for various crap that may come up. So that leaves about $400 for labor and clutch cover...

Look at the clutch yourself to make sure it is bad. Keep in mind that if the buttons are out of spec they can be replaced, and the bushings can be replaced also.

Greg

Old 12-15-2000, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I need to check parts cost from different sources. Who knows where I can find parts lists and prices online. the dealer is faxing me the parts list they came up with.
An example... clutch $365 It sounds like I could do better on my own.
thanks,
Rob

Old 12-15-2000, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just a note,
In Australia, Polaris parts are by far the cheapest ! Honda / Kawa parts are rediculous but
polaris is still not that well known here.

Andrew
97 Sport 400L ( too many mods to list )

Old 12-16-2000, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Boss70,
Just so you know, the list price of the Polaris EBS Kit is $399. You should be able to buy it at about $360... and that includes the belt, main drive clutch and the rear drive pully. That alone should show you your dealer is very high. I bout my clutch at a discout on my 98. I paid around $230.

Greg

Old 12-16-2000, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure you are not getting ripped off? How can a flapping around broken rubber belt reck a steel primary or secondary clutch? Maybe the belt cover took some punishment put they are a cheap looking plastic part.I have never blow a belt on my bike but I have blown many belt on snowmachines and it's just not a big deal,$35 belt change and 5 min. work and your on the trail again.

Old 12-16-2000, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the price list...
Clutch drive, brake.. 356.40
rear disc assm. 43.73
Kit, brake pad 43.73
oil 8.44
oil filter 11.26
belt, drive..eng.br. 35.97
gas cap 6.95
cover, clutch outer 54.73
clutch cover seal 6.51
Wt., shift, 10mh(weights?)18.00 (3)
screw .68 (10)

Total $594.84

I think I will check to see about the entire EBS kit, for the same money I think I would get extra parts anyway.

They are giving me 15% off the parts.

I am trying to work a trade deal with them to get a new HO. I offered $2250 to boot with them taking my 99 SP 500, 800miles, as is without repairs. Right now they are at $3250, if it gets close to $2500=2750 I might do it.
Rob

Quick Reply: BAD news from shop $$$$$