Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

BAD news from shop $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you do have it fixed, make sure they do a clutch alignment. If the clutch faceplates are gone, it is most likely that this is what caused it. Probably not checked by the dealer when the quad was delivered to the original owner. This is one of several reasons that you should purchase a new quad only at a reputable dealer. Saving $100 to $200 going to the cheapest place dose'nt always pay off. Dealer prep is very important when it comes to the longevity of your quad. There is alot more to prepping a quad than putting on the tires and starting it and if everything is not done properly you will have problems.

Old 12-17-2000, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

I can't see how a broken belt could destroy a clutch assembly! Clutch "cover" maybe. I would seriously do some investigating as to what and how before I dropped any money into it.

Just replaced my clutch cover- $60 , clutch cover seal- $ 5. Also replaced rear brake caliper housing (busted bleeder screw & ease out !!!)- $40. Time it takes to remove clutch cover and both clutches (considering you have the puller for the drive clutch- $20 from RCR)- no more than 15 minutes. Time it takes to remove and replace rear brake caliper- 30 minutes tops. Average dealer charge on service repairs- $50-$60/ hour.

Polaris has been pretty reasonable on parts as far as I'm concerned. Although the clutch cover was pretty high for a piece of plastic.

It may be beneficial for you to spend a little time on this one Boss70. Sounds like they may be trying to stack the bill on you. But I haven't seen the actual damage myself either. Just an observation from this end of the post.

Old 12-17-2000, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

For that price i will pull all the partsd of my 2000 sp and sell them to you. Then we would both be smiling I highly doubt your clutch is bad They sound like there trying to screw you.

Old 12-17-2000, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just out of curiousity were you pushing snow in high or in low range ? I am wondering how much I can push my machine before I should be shifting into low range and have been told that lugging it too hard in high will burn flat spots into the belt. Thanks from a new guy

Old 12-17-2000, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Boss70,
Clutch buttons sounds like the problem with your clutch. These can be replaced, I've done it but they are a pain. Button are $1.25 ea and there three. I know you don't want to do this yourself, do you have a friend that'll do it or a friend of a friend. This sport has some great friends in it. Hell, if I lived close enough I would help ya out. Where's Hillpoint? I was just in BigBend, WI. not to long ago.

Old 12-17-2000, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Fenix, it is not a good idea to plough snow in high range cos the belt will most likely slip and probably cause belt failure. In addition to the belt packing it in the clutches will eventually wear a groove in them and will need replacing too. If in doubt use low range and all will be well.

Old 12-18-2000, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

The machine works good for plowing, I always plow in low range, in fact I do just about everything in low range. The problem was, my father in law, plowed that day and he used high range for part of the time...I'm sure that is why it failed, but he was just trying to help out which I appreciate. So here I sit, no plow system 3 inches that are now getting compacted the more I drive on the steep 700 foot driveway, and today we are getting another 6 inches!!! The darn thing may not be done until Wed.!! Thanks for all the good ideas and such. The only reason I didn't try to fix it myself is because of the extremely cold weather around here lately.

Old 12-18-2000, 09:50 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you need to meet me in Yuma, soon!!