Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

After a minor Roll- Over

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a minor Roll- Over

The other day I had a minor roll over. Actually I put my '07 Sportsman 500 on its side and with me pushing to keep it form going over on its back it did in fact roll over.( in about a foot of snow that really cushioned things) I was able to get it upright in less than a minute and it appears to have no damage at all. The only thing that happened is that my air cleaner compartment got what smells like gas in it. It smells like gas but is grey in color. I checked the oil level and it was fine. I cleaned the air filter up as well as the compartment and drained the small tube under it. My question, I guess, is there anything else I should worry about? I live in a pretty remote area and loading the thing up to take to a dealer to look at is a very long trip for me. Like I said there is nothing else wrong but the fact that a fluid made its way into the air filter worries me. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

was it still running when it went over and upside down? could be just gravity made it force gas into the air box. did the oil smell like gas. keep an eye on the oil level to make sure it does raise meaning it has gas mixed w/ it. othewise then that if it starts and run good you should be good to go. just my 2 cents.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife rolled hers on it's side and the oil should have went in the air-box. the oil line goes directly to the air box.(vented one ). So you said it took you about 60 seconds to up-rite the quad ..YOU SHOULD HAVE LOST SOME OIL IN THE AIR-BOX in that amount of time.......Caper...........

Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would make sure your oil is full!

Read "Bonehead Move " here in this fourm to see what happens if you don't check the oil or know it is low.

I would also check the drain on the bottom of the air box, it is clear and has a red plug in it. If it has oil or gas I would check more.

Egressman[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

A fuel injected Sportsman will continue to run even if it's upside down (don't ask me how I know!) but it will drain oil right into the air box through the crankcase breather hose. It doesn't sound like you got that much in there and you did the right thing by cleaning out the air box and filter. You should always keep an eye on your oil level but I'd say you're good to go.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

It was still running when it was upside down, but I hit the kill switch as fast as I could. Thanks for the answers, I guess I just needed some peace of mind.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good job remembering the kill switch most people don't ,and thats were they hurt the machine

Old 02-08-2007, 05:05 PM

okie if u dont mind me asking how did u roll it im j/w

Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

It's probably just fine.
But if I thought I might have gotten some gas in my oil, I'd change the oil and filter just for piece of mind.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 PM

so...what would happen if the gas got into the oil........jw i know its kinda a dumb ? but im stumped....

Quick Reply: After a minor Roll- Over