Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailblazer with no electrical... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trailblazer with no electrical... HELP!

yzguy, did you find the problem w/ it yet?

Old 02-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you jump the the starter ?

Old 02-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Range Rover

No the solonoid is a place to check as the red wire coming from the relay goes to it but the pillow looking thing will be on the left hand frame adjacent to the air box.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

The black pillow looking things on a 2002 Sportsman are circuit breakers that reset automatically. I would guess that on the 2003 Polaris Trail Blazer they are the something. If the pillow has one wire in and one wire out it is not a relay. You can test a circuit breaker with a meter by using a pin to poke through the wire insulation. If you use the pin trick put some silicon and tape on the little hole to preserve the wire.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does the starter have its own clutch assembly or is it direct drive? You might want to see if something has frozen up in the starter assembly, that will make it just click. Try taking it apart and cleaning/lubing and put it back together if you can't find any electrical/wiring problems. Unhook the battery so you don't ground out the hot wire accidentally while removing it. Ask me how I know...OK....I failed to do that and completed the circuit with a screwdriver and my wedding ring on my harley, and it left a nice circumferential burn on my finger, quite painful. it's not the volts, its the amps that get ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was wondering if you have found the problem. I am having the same problem with my 02 Trail Boss. Except that after it runs for a while it will die. It will restart after sitting for about a minute or so and then die again. No headlights, no indicator lights, no electric start. Battery is new and has 12.5 volts, has power to the solinoid. I'm still trying to track down the problem. I was online trying to find an electrical manual or something to look at. Any help will be appriciated, we have about 6 inches of snow on the ground with another 6-8 coming and I need to plow my driveway!
Thanks

Old 02-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

Bulletracing, sounds like a circuit breaker is tripping. Look at my post above.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found the problem! It was the kill switch on the handle bar. I was letting it run to check power at different places and when I moved the handle bars it died. I pull started it again and tracked it down to the kill switch. When I pushed back a forth a couple times all my lights started working and the electric start worked again. It must be shorting out inside. Thanks, and I hope this helps others who may have the same problem.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay everyone! I have not forgot about all of ya! Unfortunately I have been very sick these past few weeks and kind of come and go. Today I felt okay and got to work on that trail blazer!

I checked my battery to make sure I ddi not lose any juice... all was well with that. Then I proceeded to follow the positive cables to the starter solenoid. I found that when I jumped the solenoid from the main battery cable to the small wire that it started just fine. So I moved up to the key switch. From there I found my hot wire and the plug and I also found the red and white wire... the wire from the solenoid. I then jumped the two wires there and the trail blazer started like a champ! Then I plugged the connector back in to check. I still had my positive wire that was hot, but I noticed that when I was cranking the key over there was no juice going into the red/white wire. Sooooooooo.... I am going to replace the key switch and hopefully that will solve my problems!!

When I get the switch replaced I will post back! Thanks everyone!

Turtle

Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

at leat its a EASY fix...

Quick Reply: Trailblazer with no electrical... HELP!