Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 700 May Just Be Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 11:18 AM
vg
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Folks,
I'm new to this forum and just purchased a H.O. 500. I love it and would never get rid of it. I live in the Greater Cleveland area and if anybody knows of any great places to ride within a few hours of here, please send me an email. Now to the subject:

I just sent an email to customer.service@polarisind.com and here is their response:

"Thank you for the e-mail to Polaris Industries Inc. At this time I have no information about a 700 Sportsman for the 2002 model
year.
Thank you."

If some one has a "written" response via email that shows differently than this, let's see it. Until then, I'm going to enjoy my H.O. 500 and not get excited about rumors.

Old 12-16-2000, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

the answer that u got via e-mail is what i got to. its what the people answering the e-mails are sposta tell people. no one is sposta tell anything about the sp700 untill it is "officially" released. if polairs employees talk about it to consumers they get the axe.

later
jon

Old 12-16-2000, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

They have not annonced it yet to the general public or to any magazines. What did you expect them to say?? Just because you asked them, do you really think they are going to tell you?? If it was that easy it would not be a rumor.

Old 12-16-2000, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Don't let anyone, ANYONE, tell you it doesn't exist.. Believe me,right now, they are upgrading the assembly lines to handle the extra production. And they have over 50 SP700's already built (hand assembly) . The info was leaked out before Polaris was able to produce the SP700. Trust me, it will come. It just takes time to mass produce the "Flagship" Ride'em hard Polcat

Old 12-16-2000, 06:57 PM
vg
Trailblazer

Assuming most manufacturers are on the same time table, I'm a little surprised Polaris has not made an announcement yet about the SP700? I just found the following press release (11/02/00) on the Prarie 650 comming out next year. It sounds like some serious machine. I now see why it seems reasonable to believe such a rumor about Polaris:

Irvine, Calfi. -- Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A., unveils new flagship all-terrain vehicle. The new vehicle, destined to change the ATV industry, is the all-new from the ground up Prairie 650. Kawasaki's sport utility flagship is far from being just another big-bore ATV. The Prairie 650 has a host of features that will catapult Kawasaki to the forefront of ATV design.
At the top of the Prairie 650's feature list is the ATV industry's only V-twin engine. The purpose-built 650cc powerplant is liquid-cooled, with cylinders set at a 90-degree angle for smooth running and, more importantly to ATVers, enormous torque that greatly dwarfs anything on the market. And despite the large 650cc displacement, engineers say the new Prairie will weigh less than the comparable 500cc models.

Mark Kelly, the VP of the ATV and Utility Vehicle Division at Kawasaki's Irvine, Calif., headquarters, said that as engine displacement increases, the 90-degree V-twin has numerous advantages over a single-cylinder design.

"It has twice the power strokes of a single-cylinder design, it has superior counter balancing, and because it was designed specifically for an ATV, it has a lower center of gravity," said Kelly. "Best of all, our testing has shown it to have torque figures that run right off the chart."

In addition to the industry-leading V-twin, the Prairie 650 will also utilize a new-generation of continuously variable transmission (CVT) and selectable four-wheel drive combined with a unique front differential, the first ATV with a handlebar-located control that allows the operator to maximize power to both front wheels.

To stop the Prairie 650, Kawasaki has combined powerful dual-piston front disc brakes with another industry first: a sealed multiple disc wetbrake system in the rear. Borrowing the idea from the heavy equipment used in construction industry and agriculture, the sealed brake system consists of a number of discs that ride in an oil bath. The system provides superior stopping power and almost unlimited service life.

"In fact," said Kelly, "the system is so powerful that our engineers actually had to detune it in order to make the braking application more linear."

Production for the Prairie 650 is scheduled for early 2001 and Kawasaki expects to hold media introductions in late 2000 or early 2001.

Kawasaki spent considerable time researching the big-bore ATV market before deciding to move forward with the V-twin powered Prairie 650.

"We spent a lot of time at ATV jamborees and similar events talking with enthusiasts to find out what features were most important to them," said Kelly. "At the top of their wish list was the need for torque, selectable four-wheel drive and engine braking. The Prairie 650 incorporates all these features in a design we think is going to revolutionize the big-bore market.

"The bottom line is that this machine is going to give ATV riders the ability to meet and exceed any riding challenge."

Old 12-17-2000, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris hand-assembled FIFTY 700 cc prototypes, Polcat?

Fifty? You sure?

At this time, Kawasaki has only FIVE Prairie 650's; one, a cutaway.

Veeeeeeeeeeery interesting.

Diogenes

Old 12-17-2000, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

im surprised that Tom Tiller hasent contacted polcat2. tom's real big into finding out company leaks and firing thoes people. Tom is the CEO of polaris.

50 does seem like alot of machies to make by hand though.

later
jon

Old 12-17-2000, 09:34 AM
vg
Trailblazer

polcat2. What is the deal with 2002 SP700 machines being hand assembled? Is it because Polaris still has to keep the assembly line setup for the 2001 models? Lastly, are these rumors comming from employees right at the manufacturing facility? Interesting to say the least.

3TV: Man, you sure got me EXCITED to say the least. It sounds like I have at least a year to figure out how to save $7000.00 +. Guess I'll just have to pass my H.O. 500 on to another family member. Definately got to get my wife more involved with riding so I can convince her when the time comes. You know how it is with wives. The wife makes the ultimate decision when it comes to big spending. LOL!!!

Old 12-17-2000, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

I heard alot lately about Suzuki getting more serious with their ATV line up. They are supposed to improve some of their models and come out with numerous new ones. The company said they are gonna focus more on ATVs in the next couple of years. This is all based on what I read in a post in the Suzuki forum.
Earlier this year, I bugged the heck out of my dealer to tell whats up with the the 700. They continue to tell me they know nothing about it. But I think them guys gotta know somtin. So, I called them up and the one guy told me that he thinks they are coming with a new sport model, lighter chasis, a-arm suspension, and more power. Thats all he would say, cause he was only partially sure if not just predicting. I wonder if he knows somthing.

Old 12-17-2000, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Only if your PW,when you guys gonna put your foot down and do what you want for a change instead of what the wife says? HUH! Just Kidding I'm lucky enough to have a wife that likes riding atv's more than I do. If you want I'll have my wife call your wife and explain to her how it works.

Quick Reply: SP 700 May Just Be Rumors