MV reserve/ backup fuel tank for a Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MV reserve/ backup fuel tank for a Sportsman

Originally posted by: Waterplay
Originally posted by: Instigater
I have an MV and had an 800. By looking at this, it looks pretty complicated to make it work! I THINK the exhaust cross over tube would be in the way also!
If you get a chance would you emal me some pics of where and how the second tank mounts? Maybe I can figure a way to fab one in. Also is there a switch that switches over to the second tank and then the bike runs on the second tank or does the second tank fill the main tank? I just feel there must be some way to mount more fuel on the bike to extend time between fillups without pulling over and using some sort of a jerry can.

As to why such a big bike has such a small tank???? You got me!

Thanks
Waterplay
Here are some pics of my rear MV fuel tank. This one shows how low it drops. There is about 2.5" between the tank and the rear diff! The tank is about 22 inches long. Here you can see how far back the tank goes. Remember, the MV's front and rear bumpers/racks are totally different. Look at how much farther the tank is past the exhaust. This pic shows a good reference point too. Another measurement that I took was from the rear stabilizer tube center, to the rear of the tank, it was 14". Look how far back the rear tank is past the tires. Those are 28's too. In this one you can see the same round cross bar that you have at the rear. The tank sits on top of it. Here is one last pic, it shows how far back the tank is compared to the 1" receiver. Mine has a 1" and an added on bumper piece that also has a 2". This tank just doesn't seem easy to modify. If, you wanted, you could order all the rear bumper/rack pieces, this would give you added length with awesome strength. This would also provide a rear winch mount area. Your rear fenders would need to be cut across the top. Because on mine the rear steel rack is also the fender directly above the tire. Hope this was useful. Let me know if any other info is needed.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Instigater
Thanks for the pics and all the info. It looks like a PITA to add the rear tank to a stock 800 or any Sportsman. I may need to rethink this whole extra tank thing. I wanted to avoid using a jerry can setup but $200.00+ just for the rear tank plus all the other parts and time Now I just dont know???
BTW in the last photo is that a screwdriver in the upper left?

Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Good eyes! It is, I was going to make reference to it, but forgot to. That was to easily point out the sway bar tube for the distance that I mentioned. I though that pic was going to be worse then it was, turns out, it is better than all the rest, go figure![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know if you can install the racks from the MV on a standard 700?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

You could, but there are other things to be bought(brackets). Plus you'd have to cut the rear fenders in half to line up right.