Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

how do i change my front gearcase oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i change my front gearcase oil?

i have a 06' sportsman 500 efi, i wanted to change my front gearcase oil, but i was wondering how hard it is to do and do i need to buy any certian tools to change it? thanks for the advice!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer

honda, i believe you'll need just the right size hex socket, and the proper fluid, 5 oz of polaris premium demand drive fluid, sold at your dealer, not that difficult, you'll have a drain plug and fill plug. alittle tight underneath there, but you can do it, check your manual to be sure of the amount of fluid. some of the drain plugs are torque fitting on my 700 but i think the front gear case is regular hex fittings, pull the drain plug first, then the fill plug, let the fluid drain out then put the drain plug back in, put new fliud in and put fill plug back in. good luck.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

I just did mine. The drain plug is on the bottom of the case, accessed through a hole in the frame. The fluid drains fully very quickly. As I remember, it's only 11 ft. lbs of torque, which isn't very much. Don't over-tighten or you'll strip the threads out of the aluminum diff. The check/fill plug is on the left side of the diff, same torque I believe. I used a small funnel attached to a small diameter hose that I slipped into the fill hole. I poured six ounces into the funnel, let it drain into the diff, and when I pulled the hose out, a very small excess fluid dripped out. I then reinstalled the plug.

This had to be one of the easiest fluid changes I've done on this ATV. Let me know if you need more tips, I have a shop manual that I can get further information from.

Good luck.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Same as above, but I use a turkey injector suringe with a lenth of clear tubing to fill it. easy to measure 5oz. that way

Old 02-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigDog800EFI
Same as above, but I use a turkey injector suringe with a lenth of clear tubing to fill it. easy to measure 5oz. that way
I thought about that, but figured my wife would kill me if she found out! But I'll have to go buy one of my own just for the garage, sounds like it would work better than the funnel I used.

Good tip.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Could you please let me know what the tool is called as seen in this picture (see front gearcase lubrication section):

http://utilityoffroad.com/tech/range...nce/index.html

I tried to access the fill plug but just couldn't break it loose. This tool should do the trick.

On the REAR GEARCASE, how do you access the drain plug? That is another very tight area. All of the rest of the areas seem easy enough to work on.

Thanks - Scott

2002 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Ranger 4x4

Old 04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

I believe you are talking about the universal joint sometimes called swivel socket. It attaches to the extension and the socket, it allows the extension to turn the socket at different angles.

Hope this helps ya!

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats exactly what I was looking for --- the name of the swivel socket! I need to go down today and get one.

BTW - do you also know the size of the hex? I know that it is a large one, hopefully a standard size!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

You can just buy the u-joint, and connect it to a socket. However, they do make sockets with u-joints, these will fit into tighter places. You should be able to buy at an auto store like autozone, napa, etc.

Not sure of the size or sae or metric or not!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just use a pump used for boat outdrives and fill it from the drain plug. Much easier than trying to get to the fill plug.

Quick Reply: how do i change my front gearcase oil?