Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Upgrading from a 26" to 30" Tire...bad idea? Swamplites anyone got em?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from a 26" to 30" Tire...bad idea? Swamplites anyone got em?

Hey guys...im new on this thing here so let me see how many people know what they are talking about! First off...I have an 06 Sportsman 500 EFI right now...its got 26" all around from polaris with stock steel rims. Lately I have decided to up my game and go with the SwampLite 28 or 29.5 with some lightweight rims...I know I will probably need a 2 inch lift kit but I am wondering...am I putting my machine at jeoparty?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Will I mess up my engine and soon mess up my axles and shafts? I am also debating between the 28 and 29.5 size...price is no biggy...just dont want to mess up the machine...Is the 29.5 swamplite going to be to heavy for the machine???...I do mostly trail riding and mud riding and sometime mountain climbing with the machine...sorry to ramble but ANY info would be appreciated!!!
~Mike
The sportsman
V
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...kin00/mend.jpg

Old 02-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have swamp lites. Anytime you go to a bigger size you risk breakage and major powerloss. If you go to a 28-29.5 good luck climbing hills and carry an extra balt with you. The 500 has lots of power but I dont think you will be able to turn 28" tires and be effective in the mud. Going from the stock 26" tire to a 27" swamp lite is a huge difference. The tread int he 27"swamp lites are big. I personally would not go any bigger than 27". Now if you had an 800 I would say 28". I think you will be sorry going up that big.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ahh i was affraid I would hear that. I guess 29.5 is definetly out of the question. But 28 is still contemplative...I am a light guy...only 150 so it isnt that much extra weight...and my wife is only 105lbs so I hope the machine will be ok. You know anything about breaking belts due to increased tire size and engine strain?
Again, thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
~Mike

Old 02-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

might get some belt slipage, so use low range a lot more

if ya wanna spend the money, get the big tires, lift, and clutch kit for the big tires, maybe a few other things and then least itd be done right. there will still be added stress on the joints, but with 28s i wouldnt worry much

i hope i know what im talking about

Old 02-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The weight of the tire is a factor but not as much as the diameter of the tire. If you do a 28" tire then dont go too agressive with the tread. I think swamp lites are your best bet. You wont break belts you will just burn them. I would get a bigfoot clutch kit to turn the bigger tires. You will lose alot of top end speed either way but at least with the clutch kit you will have good power to the wheels instead of alot of slippage. Stock clutch setup does not work good with big tires.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes that sounds like a good plan...I am getting the 2 inch lift kit and everything else off ebay...im not sure what a clutch kit is or what it is used for though???
But if you want to check out the links of the stuff I am getting with the rims so far you can!

tires:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5165&rd=1&rd=1

rims:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0242&rd=1&rd=1

lift kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7710&rd=1&rd=1

Thanks for the feedback fellas! keep it coming!
~Mike

Old 02-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

becareful, so you dont break axles or tear the front end. i would think 27" would be enough but eah to their own. good luck.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

remember, the lift kit will wear out your axles faster-more angle on the joints. i would suggest 27" with stock suspension if you want the best reliability, i've had 27" itp 589's on my 02 500HO for 4 years and have never had an axle problem. You will also wear out tie rods and ball joints faster with the bigger tires (heavier). the difference between a 27 and 28 inch tire is only 1/2 inch of ground clearance.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey ricknzep...how do the 27's fit in the wheel wells?...Can you imagine a 28inch fitting in there without a lift kit? I was considering 27 but they arnt that much different over the stock 26's so the extra money to just upgrade 1 inch doesnt seem worth it. Anyone reading this ever ride with 28's!?
~Mike

Old 02-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Trailblazer

I just put 28 mudlites on my 05 sp700- no clearance issues but I have not had a chance to really put them to the test yet. The lift kit might not be a bad idea, it will at least add a little clearance under the center of your machine. I just got my 28 mudlites on ITP ss wheels, caps, lugs and delivered $590 off ebay. You will lose power to the tires. Check out the heelclicker clutch kit- it is supose to optimize better low end for the bigger tires without loosing any top end power( that will be my next upgrade)
Peace out beioutches
MH

Quick Reply: Upgrading from a 26" to 30" Tire...bad idea? Swamplites anyone got em?