Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbell81
I have a 1996 sportsman 500. Just replaced my front left cv boot and all 4 bearings for that wheel.

When I elevate the bike and put it in drive the front left wheel turns slowly and when i hold the wheel it stops. The front right wheel does not do that.

When i engage AWD the front right wheel engages and I cannot stop it from turning with my hand. The front left wheel continues to turn and I can stop rotation with my hand.

I read the service manual but still do not fully understand the way AWD works. Which tire is functioning properly?
Left tire isn't functioning properly.. You SHOULDN'T be able to stop it with your hands with the awd button engaged.. Normal for front tires to occasionally rotate when all 4 tires are off the ground while in 2 wheel drive,but you should be able to stop them easily. Any time you tear the hubs down you should always replace armature plates plus inspect the coil sleeve and inner strut where the armature plate rides also. You can check resistance on the coil to see if it ok. Should be around 25-27 ohms. These old flexloc hub nuts had a rolling torque guide in the manual. It may be as simple as you don't have enough torque on the nut. Recheck the manual on this and also the coil and strut itself..

Old 05-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo I have been having some issues with my AWD..

What I originally thought was my front diff turned into more electrical issues.. (go figure) I lifted the bike up and checked for rotation on all 4 wheels.. well they would spin with no resistance.. put some weight on it.. the hub would stop but the axle/cv would spin.. so tracongested some electrical and come to realise that I wasn't getting consistency. So re wired the grounds and now my left works but the right is still not really engaging.. my buddy thinks it's the cv.. but I'm wondering if it's something else.. ummm help lpl

Old 05-17-2016, 04:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Start at the basics.Electro/mechanical operation and both areas have to be right for the awd to work. It has to have voltage to the power wire,you say you've established a better coil ground,coil resistance should be around 25 ohms or so between the two wires to verify the coil is ok,the strut coil sleeve and inner pole of the strut must be flush with each other where the armature plate rides and neither one damaged. Same for the armature plate which can be the weak link in this system also.Plus have to have correct hub nut torque. Wouldn't think a driveshaft could cause this unless really damaged. Just back track and recheck your work. See if this video helps.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the video it kinda helped.. I don't remember the ohms but we had matching numbers. Also I'm. Getting increasing ohms from the coil ranging from 5-25... maybe I tested it wrong. Stuck a lead from coil the one to hub..

As for everything sitting flush according to the straight edge. Check!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Resistance is between the gray and brown wires leading to each hub coil.You can check this at the connector under the front panel. Make sure your finger isn't touching the probe or it can alter readings also. 25-27 ohms are average and readings shouldn't fluctuate up and down.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

3.2 stick a fork in her she's done

24.75 on the left

Old 05-19-2016, 08:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you go back through the hubs always replace the armature plates as cheap as they are and go through the rolling torque procedure the manual calls for. On average you should end up with around 20-25 foot pounds on the flexloc hub nuts on the old 96 models.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe I'll just put the new one to the side for now then haha picked one up on my way to my buddy's garage I need to move it he's got a big project cmkng in this weekend bit for what it is I can tackle it at home in the drive way

Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris 6x6big boy wont move but driveshaft spins

hey guys I need some help here. I recently got a polaris 6x6 big boy n have never owned a polaris or a 4x4 4 wheeler. Sco with that being said I put my 6x6 in awd the other day and drove slow bout 40 yards n hit some mud n gas it a little, nothing major, but it made a crazy grinding/popping noise and stopped moving immediately. The drivshaft spins n tires will spin if I put it on Jack's but that's it. N it wont kick outta awd. Any advice?

Old 09-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Awd light is on

Yesterday my 2010 Polaris 800 side by side had its awd light pop on. When I shut her down and start it back up, it’s off until I turn the wheel. Steering feels a little choppy but only after turning the wheel about half way. Any ideas? I looked at the axels and what not, nothing looks like it’s not where it’s supposed to be. I’m a novice at these things and the only local place charges a fortune.

Quick Reply: The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread