Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD 98 Polaris 500 sportsman

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the web site info on the front hubs. I've been through both hubs, cleaned , manually checked the rollers, bearings, and .001-.003 clearance on the coils, all checks out OK. I noticed that the bulb in the AWD switch doesn't even come on, replaced it with a new one and it still doesn't come on. I've traced the wires back to the junction block, all are ok. Shouldn't there be 12 volts at the switch on the handlebar? I don't have it there, any suggestions? Thanks, NV Buzzard

Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Your AWD switch may need fixing or replacing. The older push button type switch were bad for acting up, thats why polaris went to the slide switch.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi i have a 1994 polaris sportsman 400l 4x4, and i recently noticed only three wheels spin does this model have differential? or is there a problem???? why do only three wheels spin?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default only one wheel turns

hello i have a 2001 polaris sportsman 500 h.o and everytime i engage awd only the front left wheel turns i took the right side hub apart cleaned everything out and up and reassembled it and put polaris hub fluid back in it and tryied it out and still didnt work so i checked the electrical measured voltage and ohms and ever thing works i even switched the plugs and still the left side is the only one engaging anything i can do to get the other side to turn ( locked ) or anything ?

thanks
ps could you email me also the answer

Wholzgrefe@gmail.com

thank you

Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by wholzgrefe
hello i have a 2001 polaris sportsman 500 h.o and everytime i engage awd only the front left wheel turns i took the right side hub apart cleaned everything out and up and reassembled it and put polaris hub fluid back in it and tryied it out and still didnt work so i checked the electrical measured voltage and ohms and ever thing works i even switched the plugs and still the left side is the only one engaging anything i can do to get the other side to turn ( locked ) or anything ?

thanks
ps could you email me also the answer

Wholzgrefe@gmail.com

thank you
Read this info.ATV Time :: View topic - Polaris Demand Drive Hub Q&A Picture Guide to Service

The Castle Nut must not go beyond 14ft/lb.
Also the armature plates condition.

Notice how there are wear marks on the plate, there is a shiny mark on the inside and outside of the plate, you should really only have a wear mark on the outer edge, not the inside as this one is shown, they may still work this way but its not optimum

(UPDATE)

Something I forgot to mention earlier and consider to be of pertinent information is:

After awhile the armature plate will gain slight magnetism from being around a magnet so much, this will cause your 4X4 to be very erratic. You really can't do harm to put new armature plates in when you service these hubs. Although if you would like to try and use what you have hold your armature plate to a piece of steel and see if you can feel any magnetism at all, it will be minor, if you can you either need new ones or you can try a suitable de-magnetiser.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris xpedition

I tried the awd fix with grounding the two brown wires I regret listening to that particular forum, anyway when I started the bike the neutral, reverse and awd lights immediately went out, now the electric start is not working either, its like I lost all power to everything but the headlight switch. Please help me if you can.
Originally Posted by Kawiking489
(Admin please pin this to keep down the recent amount of AWD topics)

I am here to explain how the AWD in a Polaris works. I ave worked on them for years and know exactly how they work, and the symptoms on how you can tell when they are going bad. I will also teach you how to avoid having costly repairs on them. Any questions or concerns about your Polaris AWD system, post them here, we will be happy to fix your machine.

Polaris uses a combination of electro-manetic power, and mechanical systems to give you 4x4. I for one am happy with my Polaris AWD. This is how it works:
For some of you out there, your AWD will not work unless the button is on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Your back wheels must spin a 1/5 before your AWD even kicks in. Once your back wheels spin a 1/5 out of sync with the front, the axle inside your hub/differential still tries to spin, and a cage holding a set of "rollers" expands everytime the axle rubs against it correctly. (If you have a older Polaris, try taking apart your hub and try it yourself up on jack stands) (older models--&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]The cage is held their by a electromagnetic coil that is located inside your strut tower. When you press that AWD button, that electromagnetic coil holds the armature tight against the inner part of the strut tower. The armature plate has 3 little ears on it that slip inside the cage, which it already has grooves cut inside of it that allow this to mesh together. It will create enough drag to allow the cage to stay still while the axle pushes these rollers out and allows it to catch on the inner part of the hub.

Once they are back in sync, the axle no longer has to mesh with the cage any longer because the front wheel is already spinning. The only downside to having this AWD setup is that its not reliable ( i will explain this later on) and it will take a few minutes for the front wheels to catch up with the back when your pulling a long stretch hill.

Hey, I love the Polaris AWD, but you know what, Its not always reliable. I have had some many stories told to me about their Polaris AWD systems. Those cages can only take so much rubbing back and forth. Some guys wheel would kick out right in the middle of a large mud puddle and just randomly stop working. Or, it will continuosly stay engaged! (Which makes it extremely hard to steer correctly) Sometimes you can free this up by putting your quad in reverse, moving a few feet and pressing the override button a few times then going forward again. But buddy, you will know when this is locked in for good.

I personally prefer the Kawasaki design.. It has a limited slip differential, which you can have easy steering in 4x4, but if you need all 4 wheels locked in you pull a yellow handle and your locked in solid.

Now, to avoid these Polaris AWD problems there are very simple things you can do!

1. Change your hub oil between every 3-7 months depending on how hard you ride your Polaris.
2. When your not using 4x4, dont have the button on! (Simple and effective. Think about it)
3. Always keep Fresh Hub Oil (Green Labeled Bottle) inside your hubs when you go on long rides.

These are just some of the methods of keeping your 4x4 system working for a long time.

Just remember, Any questions on your AWD, please post them all here so the forums stay clear of all the recent posts.

Thanks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not necessary to post in both sections on the same problem.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...cate-post.html

Old 02-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Scrambler 500

So I have a 2009 scrambler 500. I've noticed the awd will not kick in if the weather is cold. If I blow heat on the hubs for a few minutes the awd will work until they get cold again. Any ideas on a fix?

Old 02-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Cold weather can affect hub engagement as fluid tends to thicken,hard for the coil to get a firm pull on the armature plate. Demand Drive Hub fluid is better than plain old Type F that the early models used,but can still have erratic operation in cold climates. Only real fix if the armature plates and coils,etc are in good shape and fluid is clean, is to drive a few minutes in two wheel drive until the fluid has had a chance to warm up a bit and thin down. Thin as this fluid is I've encountered the same thing down here. Funny though seems someone could have made a few bucks over the years by making a small heating type device that would fit over the hubs and plug in over night to keep fluid warm. Similar to oil heated dipsticks that some people still use.Maybe some one has? Something similar to handle bar grip warmers but had an ac to dc converter for safe use and wouldn't have to use the machines battery over night.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1996 sportsman 500

I have a 1996 sportsman 500. Just replaced my front left cv boot and all 4 bearings for that wheel.

When I elevate the bike and put it in drive the front left wheel turns slowly and when i hold the wheel it stops. The front right wheel does not do that.

When i engage AWD the front right wheel engages and I cannot stop it from turning with my hand. The front left wheel continues to turn and I can stop rotation with my hand.

I read the service manual but still do not fully understand the way AWD works. Which tire is functioning properly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread