Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 S.P. 450 light switch question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 S.P. 450 light switch question???

I have a two amp trickle charge on it tonight so I will get a reading at the battery before I start it and I will get one with the quad running.....I will take my good Fluke meter home from work ...Thanks for the fast replies guys.............I will let you know what I find...Just might come in handy for someone else also.............Caper......

Old 02-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Well the battery is fully charged......Not the problem!!!!!!!!.........Turned the headlight switch on low beam with out the two headlights plugged in in the socket........quad will start.......checked voltage while running at the two sockets and have 14 volts on both plug one bulb back in (on brake side) bulb lights up....plug other one in while running..........quad stalls........Now I am really puzzled!!!!!!battery at 14 volts sitting there and 15 volts when running............Does anybody know where the plug in wire harness from the switch goes (through the POD I know that) but then where..........And what the color code is .......Thanks this might take awhile.............Caper.......Pulling my hair out!!!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm not a professional but it sounds to me like owner abuse. Completely like neglect. I think Caper is WAYY to hard on the equipment. lol

It sounds like there is a short somewhere. Maybe in the wiring somewhere from the pod to the lights?? Or from where the lights splice from light to light? You said you plugged one in and it was fine so try plugging the other one in first and see what happens. I couldn't see a shorted bulb causing this, but i guess it's possible. Maybe the light switch is shorted, or too high of resistance. Maybe swap switches from the wife's bike. (Must be nice to have a parts bike sitting around LOL)

Definitly let us know if you find anything. Spring is coming and we should go for another ride.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that does sound weird. you didint put a 3 way light conversion did you? if you unhook the oppisit one that didnt shut the bike off w/ the one in that did shut it off does it still shut it off or say running. i think if it was dead short it almost would certainly blow the bulb i would think. make sure the wiring isnt cut and grounding out some where even in the switch.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

No he doesn't have the 3 light mod, I was thinking about that as well

Old 02-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

thanks scammy, i couldnt remeber if he did or not. i know i read post a long time ago that someone was having that problem on theirs.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:48 PM

Well just got back in from the garage for the night......No luck yet......I will idle with one light plugged in for about 40-60 seconds( don't matter which one) so that should rule out a short in the low beams.................Can not get high beam to come on at all when at idle.......Keepm in mind the rear tail lights at on and the work lights will turn on also!!!!!......I think the voltage is dropping and shutting the quad off!!!!!!!!...Don't know why yet!!!! any ideas????????..Thanks...........Tomorrow I might start swaping parts from the wife's...450........Don't tell her though!!!!!!!!...LOL...LOL...Thanks SCRAMMY....Is there a module box that this wire harness goes too...I did not search for the end of the switch wire yet!!!!!!!!!!!...Caper.......

Old 02-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

did you pull apart the light switch yet? you say you cant get high beam either? is that w/ the bike off or does it matter, or shut the bike down. did you try to test the voltage when you turnen on the lights to see if it drops. your the expert here my friend being an electrican. if it was a dead short to the battery then it would be draining the battery over night. it sounds like you can narrow it down to the switch or the pod.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds to me like a bad switch?? Maybe check your voltage as its dying, It would have to be a good short directly to the frame to kill the battery in 1 minute with it running, and I think you would see some smoke for sure. I would swap switches and go from there, especially if you cant get high beam at all.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 PM

I don't think it is the switch...........I tell you why....
The switch works with one light plugged in...
The battery is not draining or shorting out!!!
The voltage at the two sockets is great with no bulbs in there.....
Therefore...........If there was a short .....The short will still be there with or without the bulbs plugged in!!!
I still have ice and snow built up under the quad!!!!!
Next I will un-plug the high beam and put the switch on high.....And try to start the quad......
I will put heat on in the garage tomorrow if I get home early enough!!!!!
Everthing might be fine if the quads has a chance to melt!!!!!
>>>>>>>>>Caper>>& gt;>>>>>>>

Quick Reply: 2006 S.P. 450 light switch question???