Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stuck piston

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck piston

My faitfull 93 sportsman 350 final wore out and shelled the rings. I am trying to simply rebuild the top end but the piston is really stuck. I took head off and the piston is close to the bottom. THe cylinder walls look pretty good but because the piston is stuck, the cylinder does not want to come off. Any suggestions other than to keep hitting on it? Yes I am using a rubber hammer and trying to be cautious.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Default Stuck piston

ummmmmm......im not sure about this but u could try to put some oil down the cylinder and let it set maybe it would work down inbetween the ring.....or try useing small pry bar be really easy....rap it in a few good layers of duct tape and work it around.....just a few ideas jsut b easy if u try prying the thing appart

Old 02-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stuck piston

Good info here.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stuck piston

depending if the rings welded them selfs to the cylinder is on how much damage your going to do. maybe try spraying some pb blaster down and let it work it self around the piston and then take a piece of wood and tap the piston down while having someone pulling up on the piston. either way your going to have to at least hone the cylinder good, so if you dont have any deep scratches you might be ok not to have to bore it.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stuck piston

MY TB WAS THE SAME WAY WHEN I BOUGHT IT ,, SOAKED IT W/ PB BLASTER FOR OVER NIGHT CUT A 2 BY 4 TO FIT A WACKED IT W/ A HAMMER... MINE WAS PRETTY BAD TO START WITH THE RING WAS WEDEGED UP AN DOWN IT WAS A .40 OVER BORE JOB AND A WEISCO................................. CHECK YOUR CRANK SEALS IF ITS A 2 STORKER
.......SAVAGEONE........

Old 02-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck piston

PB blaster is good for rusted parts it may help in this case lub usually does....
When it comes to seized pistons in the cylinder..
What I use to do is rotate the crank lifting the piston jug and all not to its peak just enough to clear the piston from the jug when you rotate the crank as followed (below).

Placing equal size blocks of wood opposite each other between the bottom of the jug and crank case.
Now with the magneto or fly wheel exposed on the charging system use a strap wrench wrapped snug around the rotor and give it a firm quick nudge.
If the piston still will not move.
Warm up the bottom and all around the area of outer cylinder where the piston is stuck using a propane torch to expand the cylinder and repeat the use of the strap wrench.
Using a hammer may cause you more problems!
A strap wrench is just a nylon strap attached to a flat steel handle or bar.