Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 Fan - Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 Fan - Overheating

Hi everyone...I've got a 2004 800 that is having some overheating issues that I hope someone can help me with. I've read a dozen threads regarding Polaris quads overheating, but I've not read anything on an inline fuse...does one exist?

To date, I've tested my fan by unplugging it and wiring it directly to the accessory switch (cigarette lighter) and it works fine. Even went riding for a day like this, so its not the fan itself. I've read that if I disconnect (unplug) my sensor at the motor, the fan should come on...tried it and nothing happens. Next, I replaced the relay...still not working.

I?ve traced the wiring, but not found an inline fuse, even though the wiring schematic in the shop manual shows one?any ideas where this thing is located? As a last resort, I just ordered a new thermostat, but if the fan is supposed to activate when the thermostat is unplugged, it sounds like I have other issues.

Also, can anyone recommend a Water Temp guage / kit for an 04 800?

Thanks in advance.

JasBeirne
Chas, WV
04 800
Ride it like you stole it!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well i thinkk you mean an 05' 800 since that was the first yr made.quadovater makea a heat gauge kit that i use and works perfect. highlifter does make one as well. on my 06' if you unplug the sensor on the side of the engine the fan will turn on. the fan should kick on about 210 and off around 190. i dont have a manual so i dont know if the fan is fuse or circuit protected. i would think so. changing the temostat wont make the fan work, it just allows the coolant to circulate when it reaches right tempture and opens up.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

quadovator. However, i grabbed the fan on lite kit too for my 500 and it does weird things...

linky

Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

my fan on my 800 is plenty loud enough so you always know when its on unlike the 450's is alot more quiter. of course the 800's fan is bigger too.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

So if we know the fan works and a new relay has been installed, but the fan still does not come one when the wiring is unplugged at the thermostat, what else can it be? I hate the thought of taking off the front rack to trace the wiring, so any last ideas on where an inline fuse (assuming it exists) would be located?

If not, hopefully it will rain this weekend and I won't feel so bad for spending the day in my garage!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i really cant tell by the on line wire diagram where the relays are or if they go to the fan(in line fuse) or if the fuse box goes to it. it would be nice if someone had a repair manual to tell ya. maybe call a dealer and ask them if and where it is.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front rack is easy to take off and you can gain great access to clean the rad also...It only has four 1/2 bolts inside and four torx screws on each fender...Then off it comes......This way you can trace the wires back and you may find that in-line fuseable link or fuse..........I noticed extra wires under mine near the frame under the high beam headlight that don't even plug into anything.......They must be there for other models ..........and cheaper to put them in all at once at the factory........Anybody know what I am talking about here?....Caper.............

Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i think you'll find that they go to efi models.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

There is some kind of regulator behind the radiator, down in front of the steering column that burned out on a buddy mine's 700 Sportsman. He has the same problem with the fan not turning on. We called the dealer and they said that would cause it not to work. I don't know. Check and see if yours has the same part burned out.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have a wiring diagram for a 2003 700 & it shows a 20 a breaker. It has a R/BLK wires going to it. Is between fan switch & headlight pod.

Quick Reply: 800 Fan - Overheating