Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

purple ice? what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purple ice? what do you think?

hey guys, i am thinking of adding some purple ice into the radiator. from what i understand, you simply add it in with the existing coolant, is this true? how well does it work with a sport/utility that goes mudding often? i read some of the past post about it, but it seemed most of the guys talking about it, had scramblers and such. anyone with a bigger 4x4 run this stuff or have a better suggestion. also, i don't want something i have to drain every winter. please give me some input on a easier way to keep my temp down. thanks all- PB500

Old 03-07-2007, 04:28 AM
Range Rover

Evans NPG+

Old 03-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Pro Rider

well that sounds like a good product but do you use it? can anyone else tell me about this product and its long term effect? i just want to get something that has been used by actual people that ride wheelers, not someone sitting at a desk typing the goods about some product, you know? thanks all. PB500

Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Range Rover

I use it in the 600 Scrambler. It is a little spendy, so I don't plan to swap any other vehicles over to it anytime soon, except when the time comes to drain my KLRs coolant I'll most likely switch it over to Evans as well. I've met a few truck drivers who use it and swear by it. It's an alternative anyway. Haven't noticed any bad stuff to report.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider

thanks scrammy for the feedback, i may just try to get some of the purple ice, i don't think it is too expensive and it drops the temp about 10 degrees from what i hear. i will see what some others say about it today. thanks again, and please anyone who has a different additive chime in, i would love to know what will work for the type of riding i do( mud, trails, hills, and trailer pulling) thanks-PB500

Old 03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i didnt read anything about what the freezing point is though. radiator relief is another product that offers the same protection that you add to your antifreeze to lower temps by 30 degrees.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Ste -

Do you use that in your Quads? Specifically mamma's?
I may look into this too, thanks buddy!

R'

Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Do you mean Engine Ice? It is purple in color. If you use it then it is best if you flush your system before you fill with engine ice. I run Engine Ice along with Two2Cool in my CRF450R. It definitley helps. If I had to pick out of the two though I have seen better performance out of the Two2Cool. It is an oil additive. My daughters CRF50 with an 88cc kit gets extremely hot in the summer. You could not touch your hand to the sidecase of the motor after a hot summer day of riding but after I started running this additive I can hold my hand on it forever if I wanted.

The Evans coolant has to have a clean system for it to work correctly at all. The only bad thing about this is if you are out on the trail and boil over then you have no more Evans to refill it.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

In theory the Evans won't boil over, but you could have a leak that is repaired and need more coolant. In those cases Evans says you can mix it with water or other coolants, you just lose the protection that Evans gives you. It should be used in a drained system. They offer a system prep, but as long as you can drain a majority of the system it's not necisary. Evans does not freeze either. It's just another option is all. You would not have to worry about your radiator plugging up with mud or the fan failing, in theory of course.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

Bear in mind that unfortunatley, I only have good info on off-road race bikes. Any of the new 450F's will heat and boil over if you let it idle for a few minutes. One of the first newbie ?'s is "Why is my coolant leaking and header glowing red while idleing."

I agree that the Evans coolant is the best but it will boil over. I have seen it first hand coming out of my friends bike in a race. He did not worry about it but for me it is too much $$ to waste on the ground. I was under the impression that he had to buy the flush and then all new coolant everytime that he mixed water in with it. At least that is what he told me.

Polarisbear500;
Sorry for somewhat highjacking the thread.

Quick Reply: purple ice? what do you think?