Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

purple ice? what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purple ice? what do you think?

I don't want to sound like I know everything about Evans. I don't. If you have to mix it with water in an emergency, then it should be replaced when posible to regain the properties it has. If you can reasonably drain the cooling system to near dry, then a flush is not needed. It should not boil over unless there is water in the system or the engine temp is over 350 degrees. Evans does expand more than water based coolant so you need to run a lower level in the coolant resivoir to accomodate the expansion.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i guess im trying to figure why you would want one that you would completely have to drain and fill w/ their product only. i would think one that you would just add to the coolant would be better for most non racing applications. for us that have cold weather to worry about, im still leary about replacing coolant vs adding too. i would recommend checking it after adding any product to make sure of the freezing point. just my .02

Old 03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BigBlueScrammy
Evans does expand more than water based coolant so you need to run a lower level in the coolant resivoir to accomodate the expansion.
Here inlies one of my problems: We do not have a resivoir on our bikes. Any expansion means lost coolant.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

so guys, i am glad some other questions may have gotten answered on here, but i am still trying to get mine answered as to whether or not someone who does mud/trail riding has ran this purple ice and how they like it? if not, what are the sport/utility guys running to keep the temp down a little. i dont want to change out my coolant, i just want to be able to add a little something in there with it.thanks- PB500

Old 03-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

Polarisbear, according to Royal Purple's website you are not going to see significant changes by mixing it the way that you are talking about. www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.com

You are only looking at a 6 degree drop in temperature on thier test vehicle.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Another option you may consider is WaterWetter from Redline. You add it to existing antifreeze so winter running is not an issue. No matter what you use you will need a temp gauge to actually see the results of any additive. I have used WaterWetter in performance car applications and it reduced my actual operating temp in the summer about 15 degrees. I have not yet put any additive in my 800 but I will this summer when I add a temp gauge. If someone does not have a temp gauge for before and after analysis their opinion about the effectiveness of the product is based more or less on their personal perception which is less helpful to you in deciding whether or not to use a certain product due to their riding conditions, condition of their machine and cooling system, etc.. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i havent taken the time to read about waterwetter yet myself, but was told a while back that you add this w/ water and not antifreeze. xler8ion, do they describe on their web site or on the bottle about what the premix should be. i know when i contacted the company that makes the readiator relief brand and asked them how much they recommend, it was only about 8 onces.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

I have had great results using Redline Water Wetter mixed with straight water before. It will cool as good as anything else that I have tried but you cannot use it in the winter obviously.

It looks as though this Purple Ice is Royal Purples brand of Wetter.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Stendori,

12 ozs per 12-16 qts water or 50/50 mix is the recommended dosage. You can add it to mixture of antifreeze. As with all the coolant additives, they reduce operating temperatures greater when added to straight water--not an option for freezing temp locations and I would be concerned about the long term use with water only as the lubricity & corrosion resistance of the coolant could be an issue.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally posted by: xler8ion
Stendori,

12 ozs per 12-16 qts water or 50/50 mix is the recommended dosage. You can add it to mixture of antifreeze. As with all the coolant additives, they reduce operating temperatures greater when added to straight water--not an option for freezing temp locations and I would be concerned about the long term use with water only as the lubricity & corrosion resistance of the coolant could be an issue.
well that wouldnt be very practical since our wheelers only hold about 2 1/2 qts. lol. thanks for the info though. ill do some more research on this and other brands. i plan on putting some sort of heat reducer in the wheeler and as well as my vmax. on another forum(vmax) they highly recommen using the redline, but w/ water only.

Quick Reply: purple ice? what do you think?