Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

STUPID!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default STUPID!

Hello all, a method I have used in the past is to get one side of the tire set on the rim and use foam gap fillers to put between the other side and the rim. The gap fillers are usually available at a home center like Home Depot. They are round and come in various diameters to fill in gaps before caulking. I used them in conjunction with a ratchet strap and had some success. You have to pull them out as soon as the tire makes contact with the rim though or they will get stuck.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STUPID!

put tubes in them, then after a couple of days to a week
reinstall them w/out the tubes. it may be alittle expensive but it worked
my local tire place let me have the tubes so all i had to pay for is mounting them

Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STUPID!

I work in a tire and wheel factory and ALL pneumatic tires come like that.We use a tire inflating machine that shoots air in from both sides at once.But you can air them up on a Coats tire changer.Use plenty of Murphys tire soap on both beads ,have pleny of air built up and hit it with short bursts to get it to seat.If this dont work fight like heck with them with ratchet straps and beer.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default STUPID!

i tried to mount my 589s at work on my hunter tire macnine, ended up useing a bead blaster ... pain in the a**, but well worth it!!!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Range Rover
Default STUPID!

Originally posted by: Fenton88
Ok so i bought some new tires for my 00 trailblazer and they came in today but were squished very flat and taped down so i cut off the packing tape and shoved some blocks of wood in there to bring them back to shape. I'm an apprentice at a toyota dealership and i let them sit in the back room with the heater and then took them and mounted them on the rim but cannot get air in them to seat the bead it still blows out past...so i tried a ratchet strap and put it around the centre of the tire and still nothing..then one of the mechanics fought with it for awhile as well until he grabbed a can of either and we went out in the parking lot...well believe it or not the ether trick didnt work! i am all outta ideas...why are shipping companies so retarded and dont think about ppl when they ship these tires? i thought doing a set of runflats on a sienna was a pain in the ***...this is HORRIBLE! anybody else have any ideas?
p.s. i'm trying the ether trick again tomorrow wish me luck!
Maybe this illistration may help putting rubber on a rim, it still is a pain.

Illistration of tire mounting

Old 03-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default STUPID!

good illis. but in reality its never that easy. the stiffer the tire the harder it is.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 AM
Range Rover
Default STUPID!

Originally posted by: stendori
good illis. but in reality its never that easy. the stiffer the tire the harder it is.
You are so correct on new tires!
Sometimes I like to stuff 2x8 cross in them and boil them in water and then freeze them in place.
Wrestled, Worked them, baked them in the sun under a black bucket.
Then finally got them to seal using a 4 inch wide nylon ratchet strap and they were only 4 ply oversize on a simple lawn mower was a 4 handed job. I think I lost 20 lbs that day. 4 sets of tires on my home garden equipment. I was so tired I wanted to set them on fire, then I looked at the amount I spent and decided that was not a good plan.
Can not imagine 6 ply tires walls do not give. Looks so easy at the tire shops and on paper.
But it is at least a start.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default STUPID!

The only way is to use the thick tire mounting compound sold by Meyers etc. It is very thick soap, like wheel bearing grease only thicker and it cleans up with hot water. You stuff, yes I mean stuff this crap into the cavities between the tire and wheel and carefully air up the tire, repositioning the soap as necessary.

The other alternative is to use a bead blaster air tank, which is a small handheld air tank that is aired up and the nozzle is directed at the space between the wheel and tire. It has a LARGE gate valve that allows you to quickly dump the entire tank contents into the space between the wheel and tire. With an air hose connected to the valve stem (with core removed) this will usually be successful.

Both of these tools are cost prohibitive to the average atv enthusiast so I would recommend taking these wheels and tires to a professional tire shop. Probably won't cost you more than five dollars each, and will be a lot safer than using ether.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default STUPID!

yea they use them tools for big truck tires. works pretty good most of the time.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default STUPID!

the ether trick wont work unless one bead is already locked..when changing car/truck tires i usually kneel on them and it works

Quick Reply: STUPID!