Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Puller Not Working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Puller Not Working?

If it's below freezing outside, tip the bike on it's side and fill the center hole with water then thread the puller in. Push the bike outside and sit and have a beer or two. When the water freezes and expands the clutch will pop off.

As far as pulling the inner clutch cover off to remove the trans, I didn't. Just the secondary clutch and unbolt as much of the inner cover and pry it out of the way.

Hope this helps

Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've never used an impact!!!!

Get a hammer(brass is the nicest to use here).......and put a lot of pressure on the clutch puller, and smack the end of the puller a few times(may take several attempts).....or use a block of wood.....you don't want to mushroom the end of the puller either. You won't hurt the clutch or the crank! It will eventually come off.....

When you put it back on, use some never seeze on the bolt, and also a bit on the shaft might not hurt(and shine it up with some emery cloth).......

You have to take the clutch off.......

Old 03-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah you can get the tranny out without pulling the primary, pull the secondary,take the bolts out of the inner cover, pull the back of the cover out enough to get to tranny bolts, hold the cover out wth a bungy cord tied to the handle bars or somewhere like that.Ive done this twice on two different 425 magnums.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

its just much easier to remove the tranny with the clutches out of the way. much less of a head ache...

any time i need to remove my primary, i use the clutch puller, and slide a long pipe over the end of the wrench. its just leverage that you need, it'l pop off. dont worry.

why are you removing your tranny if i may ask>?

X

Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

what other 425 did u pull the tranny out of, i think i missed that somewhere

Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I am taking out the tranny because the tranny seized up for some reason on me.

I cant seem to get it off though. Am i missing a pin or something? i took out the main bolt through the middle, and went out and bought the puller from the dealer and i cant get it off. Me and my father tried using a 1/2" impact, hitting it with a hammer and using a big slide hammer. It wont seem to come off and i dont think there should be any corrosion in there cuz ive never had water get in the clutch and im the first person to ever take it apart.
Im gonna go out and try using a pipe like scramblerx said and maybe i will finally get it.

I tried getting the tranny out without taking the cover off and its seeming close to impossible. I have all the mounting bolts off and the tranny is wobbling around but i still need to losen the left swimgarm bolt because it is holding it in and i cant slide the tranny up with the cover still on.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there could actually be rust on it just from miosture in the air. ive taken clutches off befor and had a hard time because of the small amount of corr/ rust on the crankshaft. that must be on really hard if the air impack wouldnt take it off. worse case find a breaker bar w/ a long pipe on it and maybe a strap wrench on the clutch to hold it. rent a 600ftlb impack, that'll take it off or break it lol. good luck.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Get a bigger impact or make sure you have enough volume to run the impact. I use an ingersal rand and haven't had one yet that hasn't come off.