Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

*Found Part* Gorilla Contactor Failed - Use Constant Duty Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla Contactor Failed - Use Constant Duty Solenoid?

*Found Part*

Can a Ford starter solenoid be used in place of the Gorilla contactor?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Warranty or cheap replacement parts would be my first route, but you may be on to something with the ford part.....I don't see what it would hurt

Old 03-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

I bought it off Ebay and don't remember the seller. The seller didn't leave me feedback so I didn't leave any for him so thre is no way to look it up.
Gorilla told me they have it on their Eba y site but all they have is remote switches.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

The thing to ask is this. Does all 4 big wires go to it. If they do, you will need 3 more Ford relays. I can give you an idea, if the 4 post contactor needs to be replaced. I converted my 2000 lb winch to a mini rocker and did it by buying 4- $6 relays, instead of the $85 4 post. Let me know if you need further assistance! If you are replacing a small single solenoid, then yes one constant duty relay will work great!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Instigater
The thing to ask is this. Does all 4 big wires go to it. If they do, you will need 3 more Ford relays. I can give you an idea, if the 4 post contactor needs to be replaced. I converted my 2000 lb winch to a mini rocker and did it by buying 4- $6 relays, instead of the $85 4 post. Let me know if you need further assistance! If you are replacing a small single solenoid, then yes one constant duty relay will work great!
Thanks. When I woke up this morning I realized that with one solenoid, the winch would only work in one direction.
How did you wire yours, can you post a diagram?
Thanks,

Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone know where to get a replacement contactor?
Gorilla stopped responding to me and the part on their site is $50 and comes with the rocker switch I already have.

Pic

Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default *Found Part* Gorilla Contactor Failed - Use Constant Duty Solenoid?

im surprised there not replacing it for nothing. i heard of a couple of other ones being replaced. i think 2manytoys had his replaced once, but dont quote me. i know my friends contacter on his gorilla was junk as well.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Anyone know where to get a replacement contactor?
Gorilla stopped responding to me and the part on their site is $50 and comes with the rocker switch I already have.

Pic
E BAY! $11.99 and $11 shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...mZ270098739411

Old 03-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Thanks. When I woke up this morning I realized that with one solenoid, the winch would only work in one direction.
How did you wire yours, can you post a diagram?
Thanks,
I am in a hurry, off to work. I'll put up a diagram when I get home. It sounds to me that, you need the 4 post fix. I'll have it up by early evening!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

I am in a hurry, off to work. I'll put up a diagram when I get home. It sounds to me that, you need the 4 post fix. I'll have it up by early evening!
Thanks. It for the 3000# winch which uses four terminals.

Originally posted by: stendori
im surprised there not replacing it for nothing. i heard of a couple of other ones being replaced. i think 2manytoys had his replaced once, but dont quote me. i know my friends contacter on his gorilla was junk as well.
They won't replace it under warranty because I can't show them when/where I bought it. Fair enough. It's my fault for not keeping track.
The contactor, rocker switch and wiring is $11.99 plus $11.99 shipping. It can't be much of a contactor for the price. I looked into replacing it with a better one but the only one I could find was the new Warn contactor for $99. I want to look at Instigater's fix. It may be a long term solution.

Quick Reply: *Found Part* Gorilla Contactor Failed - Use Constant Duty Solenoid?