Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help Deciding Outlander 800 Max LTD or Polaris X2 500EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Deciding Outlander 800 Max LTD or Polaris X2 500EFI

I am trying to decide weather to buy my wife an Outlander 800 Max LTD or a Polaris Delux X2 500EFI. We will be mostly trail riding and she needs the second seat for my youngest daughter to ride with her. I am going to buy myself a Renagade and a Hawkeye Limited for my 10 yr old girl yes she is spoiled but I am selling my race car so we can have some family fun.

I know the 800 has more power than she will ever need or use but want to make the best decision for the type of riding we will be doing and the LTD has a butt load of features that will make cruising nice plus if we ever go anywhere without the kids then I will be driving the LTD. I plan to ride the **** out of these machines probably going on a long trip every weekend somewhere plus the trails around the house will get frequent use during the week too. Any input would be great and please try to be fair I know this is the Bomb section but would like some honest feedback.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

I'm not at all familiar with the Bomb, but am quite pleased with my recently purchased 07 X2 Deluxe 500. Consensus on this forum seems to be that it's an absolute winner.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

How is the second seat on that Delux as that is the only thing I am concerned with and my with wanted the Blue one with some 14" wheels and 26" tires

Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

haven't really heard any complaints about the X2, i think i saw an X2 in the back lot at our dealership that said 800 on it, but don't quote me on that, there both actually really good bikes, don't really see much of either at the shop, the only thing i can say is that the polaris 2nd seat just folds down out of the way while the bomb, you have to take the seat off if u wanna ride single, but the bomb seat is more comfortable and there hand grips are nice too

Old 03-12-2007, 11:55 PM

now if ur talking about the sportsman set up like i think u are the 500's are unstopable and very nice they have enought powe to just about anything and stand up to a beating id sat polaris all the way altho i like the bombs they look tough at frist i thought they were ugly but they grew on me

Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am I was looking at the Beige limited Sportsman X2 500EFI or the Outty 800Max LTD gues we will go with the Polaris but that Outy Max Limited is still sweet might change my mind when I got to get it and take that instead I hear those are unstoppable too

Old 03-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Range Rover

For the purpose you described, buy the Max LTD.

The X2 is a super utility/trail quad for a single rider, but the passenger seat is dreadfully inadequate for touring. However, if you insist on driving an X2 there is a solution (as I have previously explained on this forum).

I have been driving Sportsman ATVs for 10 years or so. To say I was disappointed with the X2 passenger seat is an understatement. But last September, after lots of research and dealer visits I made the decision to buy a 650 Outlander Max.

I made one last visit to my local Polaris dealer to express my dismay with Polaris for promoting the X2 as a "two-up", when in fact it is a single rider that can provide a space for a passenger in a pinch! After selling me numerous Polaris machines over the past few years he set out to convince me not to buy the Outlander. The passenger seat was the main obstacle.

The dealer had his technician remove the passenger seat backrest from the X2 (just two bolts - comes off in minutes) and placed a Kimpex "Executive" in the cargo box. Perfect! Except the "Executive" was a lower end product and my wife was used to the Kimpex "Deluxe" that I had fitted on my regular Sportsman. Still, the problem was solved because I was able to fit my "Deluxe" to the X2 with little difficulty - and so I bought the X2.

The Kimpex seat is secured with "butterfly" type toggle bolts pushed through the hole at each corner of the X2 box. (The Lock and Ride plungers may be better, but they weren't available at the time.) I can revert back to the original cargo box in just a few minutes. I don't think there is a cargo box/seat combination made specifically for the X2 by either Motovan or Kimpex. However, there are several available that can be adapted.

For me the X2 has proved to be an excellent trail machine whether riding single with the original setup or double with the Kimpex seat. Mechanically, the X2 is superior to the Max. It has a bullet proof underbody, a proven 500 cc fuel efficient engine, turf mode, true 4X4, front storage compartment, and a 490 pound load capacity. The X2 is also thousands of dollars less than the Max LTD.

Still, the Outlander Max LTD is a beauty. It is a comfortable machine, both for the driver and the passenger with a great suspension for any terrain. And BPR offers a rap around box to provide lots of storage when touring. It also has a super engine, although you'll need to make lots of refueling stops. Park both machines side by side and you would have to be a die-hard Polaris fan not to go with the LTD Max.

Ebel

Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the good input but what I gathered from your post is that if I take a little bit of time and Fit the Kmpex Deluxe the ride is fine fo a passenger and beside the passenger most of the time is my 3 yr old daughter and would only on ocasions be an adult rider. Price to me irrelevant as long as the value is there and was wondering if the Outlander LTD is really worth 3K more than the Polaris X2 I think the 500 will have all th power we need as my wife only weighs around 100lbs. Looks like I am leaning towards the Polaris just really likek the looks of that outy

Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

ebel
i have a x2 i like it alot but the seat is not great at all. would u have pics of how u made the Kimpex "Deluxe" fit and work on the wheeler i am vary interested in doing this to make the passenger more comfortable. thanx for the help. i am new to this form. i have a outlander 800 also.

thanx josh

Old 03-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

barn1188
Snce you have both the X2 and an outy if you had to buy only one which would it be the Outy or the X2 and why thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Help Deciding Outlander 800 Max LTD or Polaris X2 500EFI