Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TB Starter Problems Among Others...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB Starter Problems Among Others...

Well, it must have been a week since I fixed my TB. Everything was great for a week and now the starter is giving me problems. I turn everything on and hit the start button and there is nothing. The starter doesn't spin or anything. Just dead silence. I havn't been through any heavy water. I sprayed it off last weekend, but it started fine after that. The battery is like two months old. I can use the pull start to get it going. What are the possible causes? Also in reverse I can hear my belt whining once in a while. Probably once every ten times in reverse. Not loud, just a little. Finally, when i bought the TB the neautral light always stay on. Doesn't matter if I'm in drive, neautral or reverse, it's on. The reverse light never comes on. It doesn't bother me, just one of those things...

Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

I checked the battery with my battery charger and it shows that it is fully charged. I looked for broken wires or wires that are grounding and couldn't find any problems. I bet that starter it a pain to remove.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

Yes they can be a pain to remove.
I would say that 90% of starter problems are the brushes. Buy a rebuild kit or a new starter.

Here are a few
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...92347363QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...spagenameZWDVW

Old 03-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

you reverse light an nutral lights are just a switch in the on the trans check for loose wire. The star deal is normal cause of it being on the lower side of the motor so even water to the floorboards can get it wet. If you rebuild or replace make sure you silicone the hell out of it at ever joint to keep water out.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:24 PM
vig
Range Rover

I had a scrambler once and the starter went I actually got the starter out without removeing the cluthes. Tip the machine straight up, remove the bottom guard and you can get access from there, its real tight but doable.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 PM

probley ur starter went on it....

Old 03-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the info. The indicator lights doen't really matter to me. I had the tranny out last week and there were no wires connected to it, so that is probably my problem lol.

Hey Vig: When you tipped you machine up, did you have to drain the gas and oil or did you leave everything the way it is? I just don't want to flood anything. What do I need to remove to change it this way? Thanks!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

cdr, you can test the starter by jumping across the starter solenoid. Use a heavy wire and connect across the two large red wires. If the starter turns your problem is not the starter.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe you should trade it for a **** that you can shoot when it dies on ya. lol j/k like freedom said by past the soliniode by jumping wires to see if its the starter.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

I only see one big red wire in the front of it. I might be looking in the wrong place.

If it helps any. A few times before it finally died it would hesitate a little. It seemed if I flopped around on the seat like a dieing fish it would start right up. Weird, huh?

stendori: That's a good one. I'm going to trade it in on something or just sell it soon. I have owned if for almost 4 months now and have only ridden it for about 7 hours total. I have worked on it a ton more than that. Just as I fix it, something else breaks. Atleast I'm running out of things to break. I don't know, I want to put a lift kit on my truck... I might have found where I'm going to get the money lol.

Quick Reply: TB Starter Problems Among Others...